16th Aug 2009, 11:35

I don't think you'll find this car all that expensive to repair. Many General Motors parts are interchangeable between Cadillac and the other brands, and in any case all are pretty cheap and mostly still available made by aftermarket suppliers. And these old cars are very simple, so anyone can work on them. It'll really be cheaper to get this old classic fixed than the awful new cars being sold today.

2nd Apr 2012, 22:20

I have one of these.

Just bought a new fuel pump, $25, shipping included.

Also need a power steering pump; that's a bit more expensive, $45.

Also replaced the alternator for $50.

For the water pump, I went with the high output one for a total of $32. Didn't need it, but while I was busy...

I mean, what do you expect for a car that's almost 40 years old. Things need replacing.

A friend of mine has a new MINI. He had his fuel pump and something else replaced. Could be the water pump, but I forget. Total bill around $2000.

For that price I can buy a whole master engine rebuild kit ($800), front end service kit ($400), alternator, fuel pump, water pump, power steering pump, front brakes, rear brakes, and have enough left for some beer.

28th Dec 2017, 06:17

I am replying to the man who has a 1978 Eldorado and says he loved it, but is getting too old to do his own repairs.

Sir, if you ever want to sell it AND it is a Biarritz, please contact me. I am searching for a particular car.

Cadillac ElDorado Biarritz with white interior and sunroof, between the ages of 1969 and 1981 (before the 4.110 engine) unless it has a Goodwrench replacement engine. Preferably a white car with stainless steel and Landau padded roof... please respond to "motorcycle_rider@yahoo.com".

30th Dec 2017, 11:20

Break it out and use it when you can. Try to find a reasonable garage for routine maintenance... If you are restoring trim and interior on these type of cars however, that’s going to cost you. My dad in retirement hated to mainly pay out a lot for heavy gas consumption, and that was his primary hesitation. But yet he would spend 3k on a top and interior work. It was never a boring ride. You can antique it and get agreed value low cost insurance from places like Hagerty. My state does not require antiqued inspection; just once when you buy them, and even my exempt antiqued tags are free after. They mail a new sticker.

I hate parking my new truck outside, but it still depreciates either inside or outside. It is so cold now that I actually hate using them at all this week. But it’s nice having fun cars when the weather breaks. If you don’t enjoy using it or are hesitant, there’s not much point having it. A newer fun to drive car might be a worthwhile alternative.