2000 Chevrolet Astro Reviews

Year of manufacture1999
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 4.3L Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

The best tow vehicle ever built. VERY UNDERRATED!

Rear end at 170,000 miles.

Alternator at 110,000 miles.

General Comments:

Unbelievable towing capacity. I have towed my 34' Airstream trailer that weighs 8,750 lbs. throughout the US and Canada.

We towed through the Rocky's, Grand Tetons and to the Arctic Circle in Alaska flawlessly.

On one 16,000 mile journey we averaged an amazing 13.6 MPG!

It has great storage in the rear. We removed the rear seat, and use the storage area as a shed on wheels, carrying bikes, tables, chairs, BBQ etc. Even without the rear seat, we have room for 4 passengers plus a driver.

The front seats are a little cramped because of the motor box.

Wonderful nooks and crannies to store stuff, and excellent interior lighting.

Very easy to operate radio with enough features.

Uniquely qualified to tow Airstream trailers.

Very tight turning radius.

Review Date: 30th May, 2012

30th May 2012, 11:19

Are you sure about that tow weight? They weren't rated to tow nearly as many pounds. Is yours AWD or RWD?

31st May 2012, 09:54

Maximum trailer towing weight capacity was 5500 lbs. for the 2000 Astro; a whopping 1000 lbs. more than the front-wheel drive Venture minivan.

No wonder he had to replace his rear end.

2000 Chevrolet Astro LS all wheel drive from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Previous carGMC Safari

Summary:

It is a great well designed van, and I will definitely buy another

Since I bought the car, the driver's window has stopped working.

High setting on the fan doesn't work.

Brakes need to be replaced.

General Comments:

I purchased this car 2 years ago. It was NOT well maintained by the previous owner, and when I purchased it I had to replace a motor mount and I had a vacuum leak in the controls of the air conditioner (80.00) to fix. The only thing that has broken in 2 years is the driver window motor and the high speed setting on the fan control switch.

This is my second van like this, my first was a 1992 GMC Safari which is identical except in name. I sold it after it had 200,000 miles on it and the transmission started to slip. Seems like all these vans have a common problem with the windows not working, air conditioning controls, and my first van had fragile door handles that broke.

I rarely ever buy the same car twice, as when I own it I get tired of them and get fed up by the problems, but my first one was a really good van for 5 years. The AWD works great in snow, and with mostly city and some light highway driving I average 17 mpg, which is really good for a van of this weight and size.

I use my van for work, and it is the only minivan that is built on a truck platform. All other minivans have a smoother ride because they have a car platform, but they cannot carry the weight that this model can, which is real important when you carry 2000 lbs in the back.

The front seats are like sitting in a recliner, and even though I have a BMW and a Discovery, I actually find this one the most comfortable to drive on a trip.

All I can say about this car is that it is what it is. It isn't a sports car, it isn't a luxury car, it isn't a fuel efficient sub compact car. It is a truck based van, and it drives and behaves like one. It does exactly what it is designed to do, just nothing more.

Overall I have no complaints. Every car has some common defect traits, and the windows and blower are minor common ones in this model.

Review Date: 24th August, 2008

2000 Chevrolet Astro LS 4.3 fi from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 4.3 fi Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Avoid like the plague!!!

Cylinder misfire, window and power lock switches needed to be replaced, body molding coming off body, driver's window motor bad, need I go on?

General Comments:

Please do yourself a favor and don't buy an Astro. Like others, it seems like something is going wrong every other month.

The molding is falling off the body; I will probably have to glue it back on.

Stock shocks are mushy and not stout enough.

The build quality is just not up to par.

We have had it into the dealer multiple times for the same problems, like windows and power locks.

Review Date: 4th February, 2008

6th Jan 2009, 17:53

To me it seems that you just got unlucky and got a bad car. We have an Astro AWD and an Astro, and they both are great, and have needed few repairs. You may have just got a bad car out of the bunch.