2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71 from North America

Model year2002
Previous carChevrolet Truck

Summary:

Could have been a great vehicle, but it isn't

Leaking water into the carpet from the mid-gate whenever it rains.

General Comments:

This has been the only problem, but a serious one. The harder it rains, the more it leaks. We have even had standing water at one point. The dealership has had to seal the mid-gate and other areas they "think" the leak is coming from as well as replace the carpet under the front seats three times. They claim they are battling the manufacturing of the vehicle and can't fix it. We have contacted Chevy about this and have not received a call back.

Review Date: 12th April, 2005

13th Sep 2005, 07:39

This summer I bought a 2002 Z71 1500 and love it. After driving it for one month, I noticed the front end shook when I hit 65-70 on the highway. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced a ball joint, a couple brake calipers, brake pads, and re-balnced the tires. It rides like new now!!

6th Jan 2009, 20:46

I have the same problem as another post with my 2002 Avalanche; at 70 mph the truck shakes, not at 69 or 71. I thought this was the weirdest thing. Now I know it's not an isolated incident. Taking the truck in this week for a tune-up, we'll see what they say.

The truck has over 100k miles on it and has been the best vehicle, I am very happy with it. We commute in it 34 miles one way every day. It seems maintenance work is cheaper on this Chevy than on my Honda van, and that has me loving the Avalanche even more!

21st Apr 2011, 10:07

I am on my way to buy a Chevy 2002 Avalanche Z71 for 7000.00$Can and I don't know if I am doing a good thing because I am more into the Ford 150 truck. Can you tell me if its a good move? Is there anything I should know about this vehicle?

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.3L Automatic
Previous carBuick LeSabre

Summary:

Awesome, Versatile Ride That Stomps The Competition

Warranty items under 36k:

Under-hood light.

Fog lights.

Non-warranty items over 36k:

None.

General Comments:

I don't see a problem with the fuel economy; we get 18-22 MPG highway, and 16-18 city, and this is a huge three ton vehicle! Compare that to those smaller Asian SUVs!

This has been a very low-maintenance vehicle to own, and my local GM dealer is very trustworthy for service.

I believe the GM full-size truck platform is the best, easier to maintain/repair, and to go smaller is penny wise and pound foolish for the sake of 2MPG.

Very smooth and pleasing to drive, and safe.

NOT FOR SALE! EVER!!

Review Date: 19th August, 2004

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-71 5.3 from North America

Previous carNissan Maxima

Summary:

Great vehicle, but expensive to operate with gas prices today

New tires needed at 35,000 miles. Lousy wear.

Steel belts were protruding from three of the tires.

Spare tire was two sizes smaller than those on vehicle.

General Comments:

Great ride, especially on Freeway.

Bad design on the center console as anything left on it in even a slight turn will be on the floor.

Review Date: 14th June, 2004

6th Sep 2004, 18:36

Chevy's are trucks, not tires. Replace the cheap Generals with Goodyear or Michelin and you will love your AV again.

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche K1500 5.3L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.3L V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Suburban

Summary:

Great if you need the power and space, but a GAS HOG!!

Driver door power window motor failed at 35,000 miles.

Driving light had wiring problem and was replaced at 35,000 miles.

Windshield washer pump motor failed somewhere between 44,000 and 67,000 miles.

General Comments:

The Avalanche is about 85% Suburban. It has great power and a smooth, "un-truck-like" ride. But unless you need the hauling power and comfortable seating for five or six people, I would stay away from this vehicle. But if you need the above features, this is a great truck/SUV combo.

I bought this truck when I had a wife and five kids and now that I am divorced with only two kids living with me, it is WAY TOO MUCH vehicle.

It's too long to fit in a standard garage without leaving more than a couple of inches up front and at the garage door. The mileage, averaging only about 14 mpg, is atrociously low. It's wide and long and difficult to park in most parking spots.

Review Date: 14th June, 2004

15th Jun 2004, 15:30

Complaining about the gas mileage? Well what did ya expect with something that weighs over 2 tons. I don't know why GM doesn't use their diesel engine in something other than a truck.

7th Aug 2004, 15:20

I have a 2002 Avalanche and can't think of a better vehicle to own. I get approximately 17mpg and I drive a mix of city/highway.. It is smooth, comfortable, roomy, and definitely changeable to my differing needs. I have a wife and 3 boys, and it is awesome. My last vehicle was a 1994 Suburban which was getting about 12 mpg with 225,000 miles on it, so anything was an improvement, but this is incredible. We like it so much my wife wants one also.

16th Jun 2005, 11:46

We are the owner's of a 2002 Avalanche 4x4.

We love everything about it, hauling grain, camping, long trip's,14 city,18 to 19 highway.

We have had only one problem. The transfer case control mod had to be replaced at 65000.

The only reason we will not buy another Avalanche is due to the fact that a goose neck trailer will not tow due to the short box.

Other than that we love everything about our's.

3rd Feb 2007, 21:51

I have a 2004 Avalanche 1500. Love the truck. I am just wondering where these folks live that they are getting 18-19 MPG on the highway. I get 14.5 tops. Now haveing said that, the truck actually weighs over 2 tons so one should expect that it would consume more fuel. I took a trip from the Washington, DC area to Orlando and on average, I got the advertised 14.5 MPG on the trip.

1st Nov 2007, 13:54

I had a '03 and I fell in-love with it, a year later I went through middle age crisis, lol, and traded her in for a '04 converitable, it took me another year to realized my wife and 3 preteen children all don't fit in my convertible, and I needed a truck so bad to haul stuff to the dump stuff, so went back and traded the convertible for '05 Avalanche', I loved it so much I shipped it to Maui, now she has been all over this island, even places where only a few has gone before. So far I just hit the 30k mark so haven't notice any problems yet, knocking on woods, so all and all so far for me... I am a CHEVYMAN...

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66 5.3 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 5.3 liter Automatic
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

As a truck its great; as a SUV its better

The plastic cladding pulled away from the side, albeit you had to look very closely to tell. Dealer immediately ordered replacement part; fixed at no cost to me.

General Comments:

The Avalanche is an excellent all-purpose vehicle. I can configure it to do just about anything I want. It hauls 5 very comfortably; I can use it for weekend hauling chores; I can haul over-sized objects with minimal conversion effort. I added the Bedslide, which increases the vehicle's utility exponentially. Although most reviews claim lower gas mileage, I average 16.5 and over 20 on highway trips.

Review Date: 5th April, 2004

4th Jul 2005, 17:18

Based on your review and title, it appears that you give kudo's to the truck yet you give it a negative rating. If plastic cladding gives a truck a bad rating, how would anyone rate a Dodge or Ford which have numerous mechanical failures???

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66 305 V8 from North America