24th Feb 2007, 08:37

Well sorry to hear about your bad Aveo I bought mine brand new in 2004 and right now it has arouund 60,000 miles and its fine I've never had any major issues with this car.

5th Mar 2007, 15:45

Well, mine broke too. I'm NOT a happy camper. It will cost more than the car is worth to fix it... over $2300.00 And I have a few years left to pay on it. I think it could be trade in time. This car might be great for a starter car for the kids or a "grocery getter", but if you need a car for distance and mileage, shop around and pay a little more.

And FYI...

IMPORTANT: A timing belt failure on vehicles equipped with interference engines presents a somewhat different scenario. This type of engine does not allow for clearance between a valve at its lowest point and a piston at its highest point. The critical link to ensure that these components do not collide is the timing belt. If an interference engine's timing belt fails, not only will the motorist be stranded, but additional damage to valves, pistons, cylinder head and cylinder walls can occur which can greatly escalate the cost of repair. It is essential to remember that when changing the timing belt, the timing belt system tensioner and pulleys must be examined to determine if they exhibit signs of wear or damage. If so, these components should immediately be replaced.

22nd Apr 2007, 08:52

In case you didn't know GM has put out a TSB, technical service bulletin, recommending that the timing belt be changed at 30,000 miles. Whether they are also saying at each 30,000 mile interval, I'm not sure yet. I don't know why they are failing in the first place, if it is the belt themselves and they are only replacing with the same kind of belt then the answer would be yes, at each 30,000 mile interval.

That kind of frequency is something that was done with cars in the 1960-1970's, Fiat ring a bell. What the hell?

Gm covers the belt cost, but will not pay for the labor, another what the hell?

24th Feb 2009, 20:14

Chevy very clearly states that the timing belt must be replaced every 60,000 miles. The job is not that difficult, I just did one this weekend. I wrote up this web page to show how to do it: http://home.earthlink.net/~aveobot/id1.html

18th Dec 2009, 19:49

If your coolant was boiling I HIGHLY doubt the temperature gauge was still in the middle, you might want to get your coolant temperature sensor checked.