1984 Chevrolet Camaro Reviews

First year of ownership1983
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.8L Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles

Summary:

Great

My wife blew the engine because the head gasket leaked and I was never told until it was too late. Had to replace the alternator, power brake booster, and fuel pump.

The car has two dents courtesy of my son and sister. The paint still looks real good and has no rust.

It is not fast off the line, but I would rather have this V6 with T-Tops than the hardtop V8.

It still gets a lot of looks and offers to buy from young kids.

General Comments:

Nothing like it with the top off.

Review Date: 8th July, 2013

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 HO Stock 5.0; now 5.7 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission Stock 5.0; now 5.7 Automatic
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carChery 1984 s15

Summary:

Love the car; newer plastic cars won't replace this car ever

I replaced the transmission once, and ripped the rear end out of it one time (gears in a million diff. parts), and the distributor one time.

General Comments:

Well to start out, when I got the car the transmission was "bad". I replaced it with a 350 turbo and I drove the car for about 3 years (my high school years). I then joined the Navy and drove a lot.

I didn't like the transmission because it was only a 3 speed, with me driving on highway with 373 rear end gears (upgraded). I put in a built 700r4 with a second stage kit ($1800). I wanted more power, so I replaced the stock 5.0 HO with a 5.7 Ho. I replaced it, but there was nothing wrong with the 5.0. It had lots of power and was still fast IMO.

I have only had a few other problems like over heating, which I was told becomes a problem when you started to add more HP. I only overheat when sitting still now, and I understand why seeing I have a 350 which is bored and cam'ed. BUT I love the car, and don't want to ever sell it. My one car that I bought and worked on.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2007

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Sport Coupe 2.8 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1984
Most recent year of ownership1988
Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Manual
Most recent distance120000 kilometres
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

A beautiful piece of junk

Parking brake defective -- dealer can't fix.

Radio defective -- dealer can't fix.

Hubcaps fell off -- dealer says they have been stolen by other Camaro owners whose hubcaps have fallen off.

Interior headliner fell off while driving.

Paint faded.

Clutch wore out at 70,000km.

Rear view mirror fell off.

Power steering pump fried at 50,000km.

Rust everywhere.

General Comments:

This was one great-looking car -- base coupe, no chrome, sexy interior, nice deep blue clearcoat, sport suspension, V6, 5-speed.

Beautiful, but... other than the engine, which seemed pretty strong, so much stuff fried, fell off or rusted out that I couldn't justify keeping it.

The performance and handling was great, though, and I'll bet an IROC would be even better. Maybe someday when I have an extra bucket of money and a momentary lapse of reason...

Review Date: 4th February, 2007

5th Nov 2012, 18:06

I had a dark blue base Camaro V-6 with the automatic. I bought it new and kept it till 1993. All in all, it was the most trouble free car I ever owned. The hubcaps were stolen on mine, also. I ended up putting wire wheel covers on the car. I think I was the only guy in the world that had whitewalls and wires on a Camaro.

When I sold it with 72K miles, paint was beginning to peel, but it still looked and drove great. I wish I still had it.

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0 H.O. from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 5.0 H.O. Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

It is the car dreams are made of!

When I had purchased this car, it didn't actually have an engine in it. It was my first car and I had built it. Although I had re-built the original 305cid, 5.0 H.O. engine, all of the electrical system was original. Out of all of the things that had ever gone wrong with this car, every problem was traceable back to the original wire harness. Other than having to get the entire harness replaced, (which is in no way cheap), I never really had any other substantial problems with this vehicle.

General Comments:

This car was the car that I had been dreaming about since I had first seen one at the age of 6. I had so much fun with this car. It has, in my opinion, a perfect balance of power, control, and responsiveness. Till this day, there is honestly no other car that I would love to have.

Other than the minor, yet costly electrical set-back, I can't possibly say a bad word towards the 1984 Camaro Z28 5.0 H.O.

Review Date: 26th September, 2005