2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 LS1 from North America

Get in, shut up, hold on!

Front markers fill up with water and crack bulbs (drilling tiny holes to let water out works, but still happens occasionally).

Park brake switch needs to be cleaned to turn warning light in dash on.

Left power window motor failed (at a car wash of course).

Rear defroster has never worked.

VATS system (security pellet in key) intermittently malfunctioned, causing a no-start (bypassed vats with a resistor).

Piston slap.

Replaced leaking differential input seal.

Oil in coolant (had a short block before I bought it so head gasket likely).

Occasionally the airbag light stays on till you restart it.

Fuel gauge sending unit has not worked for six months.

Front rotors warp very easily (three brake jobs in a year, but I drive hard).

General Comments:

Despite the above problems, I love this car. Best bang for buck hands down.

I am not a street racer, but the Hondas with fart pipes don't even try! The only cars who try to race me spent 4X as much money, which makes me laugh!

If I wasn't a mechanic, I don't think I could afford to have someone else maintain it though. It is definitely high maintenance, but turning heads and getting put back in the seat are worth it.

Despite the fact that it has granny rear end gears, it still pulls like crazy! I have seen the traction control light blip on numerous times when it shifts into 2nd at wot. I'll keep the granny gears though, as I recently got stupidly good mileage on a leg of a 800 mile road trip (30.95 mpg us) at 70 MPH! I even got 25ish in heavy traffic doing 30-80mph!

I have a Dynomax cat back (bullet race system) that has a little glasspack for a muffler, run synthetic oil, and inflated tires to 38 psi, so this might be why I smoked the US EPA estimate of 25mpg. Maybe my car is a freak or something, I honestly calculated it three times because I didn't believe it. My trip meter was identical to my trip meter on my GPS too. Only down side is premium fuel, but I knew that when I bought it.

Review Date: 9th August, 2009

3rd Feb 2012, 01:00

Well I traded the Camaro a month and a half ago with 230,000 km on it for a 96 Dodge 2500 diesel. So far I think I have made a big (8800lb GVWR big) mistake. I have spent more in the last month fixing the Dodge than I think I ever spent on the Camaro. I traded a beautiful machine for a steaming pile of Dukie. At least it will hold its value so I can trade it for another Chevy or a Ford. Yeah, I'm not brand loyal, but this will be my last Chrysler. It sounds good and can blow black smoke, but it ain't a Camaro.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 V8 from UK and Ireland

Me and my Camaro were born to be together!!!

Occasionally I would turn the key and nothing happened.

Alloys need refurbishing - gives slow deflation of tyres.

Belts whine even though replaced.

General Comments:

This car is an absolute beast.

It sounds amazing - pure V8 muscle.

It turns heads everywhere it goes.

Acceleration is breathtaking.

Generally very reliable.

It takes corners better than I expected.

Fuel economy is much better than I thought.

Very nice to drive, especially if you are lazy like me (auto, cruise control).

Review Date: 14th April, 2008

6th Aug 2008, 12:32

Hello I was just wondering if the Camaro was a good car in the winter? I heard that you should get a second car for the winter and I was just wondering if this was true.

8th Aug 2008, 22:05

Camaros and Trans Ams are not good for winter driving where there is snow or ice. My 2000 Z28 goes in the garage for winter, but when spring comes, wow what a car.