1989 Chevrolet Corvette Hatchback 350 V8 Tuned Port Injection from North America

Summary:

The best high performance vehicle made in America and a bargain at any price

The starter failed at 85,000 miles. According to the car's logbook, this was the second starter replacement.

The battery failed about the same time and I had it replaced with a heavy duty model.

General Comments:

Driving a Corvette is like nothing else. I have owned everything from a Volkswagen Beetle to a Lincoln Town Car and this is in a class of its own.

The car does ride rough compared to a typical sedan, but that's part of the personality of the vehicle.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2004

1989 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 5.7L V8 from North America

Summary:

A fun weekend car

The alternator is the weak spot in this car. If you buy a Corvette, look for a heavy-duty alternator to replace the stock one. Also, you should replace the battery, if it hasn't been replaced already, buy the best battery you can afford. I have been stranded by the battery/alternator problem twice, but never again!

The radiator fins need to be cleaned regularly if you live in the country, since this car is a bottom-feeder. All kinds of dirt and junk collect in the fan shroud and in the fins.

Air-conditioning clutch needed to be replaced. It was easy to do.

Radiator fan motor died, but it was easy to replace.

General Comments:

The Corvette is a supercar! I don't know how to begin to express my love for Corvettes. This is my third one, the first two being a 1986 coupe and a 1990 convertible. I bought this 1989 coupe ten years ago and I still love it.

The body is made of fiberglass, and the hood is huge. It swings upward effortlessly with a pull of your hand. It's easy to work on the engine because the hood is so big. I do a lot of my own work on the car, things like brakes, replacing hoses, spark plugs, etc.

The Corvette handles extremely well on twisting mountain roads, so it's definitely a fun weekend cruiser. People come up to me all the time and say "what year is that?" and "oh wow, a Corvette!". This is not a car for introverts! As for styling, it's low, wide, and sleek.

I can't recommend this generation of Corvette as an everyday driver, because it's too impractical. I understand that the C5, the newest Corvette, is much more comfortable for everyday driving.

Review Date: 4th May, 2002

14th Dec 2003, 00:43

I have to agree with you 100%!!! I drive my 89 corvette every single day. Rain or shine. It is out side driving. And it is by far, way more comfortable then my moms 2000 ford explorer. It has leather seats as so does the corvette, but there is something abou those super seats... gotta love them.