1989 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 TPI from North America

Great old American car that can still be used as a functional daily driver

Light gears required replacing. 50 dollars and two hours of my time.

There is a "flutter" in the fuel system when below 50 degrees outside. Replaced filter, did not fix. Fuel pump or pressure regulator is more than likely the cause. 91 and 50 dollars respectively, and I can do it myself. Will probably change at some point this summer, but am not concerned about being stranded.

Other than that, nothing. A couple of oil leaks starting, but for 24 years old, expected.

General Comments:

First of all, I find it frustrating to read reviews with only 7000 miles of ownership, but I thought I would chime in anyway.

The car... as others have stated, may not be the best every day driver given your situation. For me, it is. I commute 50 miles one way and have two routes to take. It makes the drive much more enjoyable. The seats are very comfortable, the car is effortless to drive, and winding down two lane roads in the lakes country of Minnesota is enjoyable. The A/C works, the car gets 23-24 miles per gallon, and depreciation is very minimal at this point in the car's life.

Driving around town on bumpy roads, yes it can get irritating. The ride can be very rough. It is worth it to me, however as my driving style lends itself to this car.

Parts are, for the most part reasonably priced. If you like to tinker here and there with your car, and appreciate driving something different, one of these would be a wise and economical choice. It is 24 years old, and I expect some of the quirks that come with that. The rattles seem to be increasing. Time to spend an hour and tighten some screws.

Overall, a great car (so far), and if you have ever thought of buying one, I would not hesitate. I will update this if anything major arises.

Review Date: 14th May, 2013

1989 Chevrolet Corvette 350 V8 from North America

Wonder weekend cruiser

Passenger side courtesy light and trunk switch do not work, and window defogger was missing.

Rear trim and interior roof halo cracked.

Right rear speaker squeals.

Parts are on order.

General Comments:

The car is in good shape and looks great.

Fast for the time, not the fastest now, but still a quick car.

Would like more headroom, sometimes my head brushes the headliner.

I've wanted one for 20 years, and finally got one for my mid-life crisis. I'm loving it!

Review Date: 9th July, 2010

9th Jul 2010, 18:35

"I've wanted one for 20 years, and finally got one for my mid-life crisis."

I've never even once seen a Corvette being driven by anyone other than a man who is clearly having his mid-life crisis. It's the exact reason I'd never buy a Corvette.

18th May 2015, 02:35

I bought my first Corvette at age 32. Interestingly enough my older son bought a Viper at age 30. If that was my mid life crisis, that means now at age 61 my days seem numbered by your theory. There are certainly some Corvettes that are less desirable to own. 73-96 come to mind; many are entry level Vettes, and are relatively cheap. 97 is fine if it has an LSI vs LT1, as you could have both. I like mid years and C5s up. Some of the 30-40 set I know like 62s or the C5 or C6. Some are engineers, dual income types, or have a business. Not on a respirator or infirm. A lot have a cool street bike like a Street Glide; very common with Vette guys I know. We have fun.

1989 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L L89 from North America

I was glad to get rid of it

Something broke on it about every 2 months. Was in garage more than on the road.

Major things - 3 fuel pumps, injectors plugged up, ECM blew. Last straw was head gasket started leaking.

General Comments:

Maybe I got a bad one, but I hear the above problems are normal for a Corvette? If so, I don't want another one.

Performance was odd. I never felt I was fully in control.

Very uncomfortable, and hard to get in and out.

Cheap materials for the interior. Looks like a sixth grader installed it with elmers glue and bubblegum.

The reason I chose this car is the same reason I chose women... for the way it looked... great looking car... too bad it let me down the same way as every good looking woman I've dated... you think I would have learned by now and just marry a fat chick.

Review Date: 18th January, 2010

17th May 2015, 14:22

As for the guy with the 89 Vette, you must have gotten a bad motor, or one that was not taken care of. I got mine in 1992 from Napoleon Ohio, just south of Toledo Ohio. I went thru all their used Vettes, and there were a lot back then. I got a black one and found out it was from New York. It had high mileage for a 3 year old car; around 60,000. It now has around 93,000 or so, and it still looks great and runs great. Sure there are things that go bad in any car. But with the Internet today, you can tackle almost any job, if you're mechanically inclined.