1989 Chevrolet Corvette Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 5.7 TPI Automatic
Most recent distance92000 miles
Previous carAudi A4

Summary:

Great old American car that can still be used as a functional daily driver

Light gears required replacing. 50 dollars and two hours of my time.

There is a "flutter" in the fuel system when below 50 degrees outside. Replaced filter, did not fix. Fuel pump or pressure regulator is more than likely the cause. 91 and 50 dollars respectively, and I can do it myself. Will probably change at some point this summer, but am not concerned about being stranded.

Other than that, nothing. A couple of oil leaks starting, but for 24 years old, expected.

General Comments:

First of all, I find it frustrating to read reviews with only 7000 miles of ownership, but I thought I would chime in anyway.

The car... as others have stated, may not be the best every day driver given your situation. For me, it is. I commute 50 miles one way and have two routes to take. It makes the drive much more enjoyable. The seats are very comfortable, the car is effortless to drive, and winding down two lane roads in the lakes country of Minnesota is enjoyable. The A/C works, the car gets 23-24 miles per gallon, and depreciation is very minimal at this point in the car's life.

Driving around town on bumpy roads, yes it can get irritating. The ride can be very rough. It is worth it to me, however as my driving style lends itself to this car.

Parts are, for the most part reasonably priced. If you like to tinker here and there with your car, and appreciate driving something different, one of these would be a wise and economical choice. It is 24 years old, and I expect some of the quirks that come with that. The rattles seem to be increasing. Time to spend an hour and tighten some screws.

Overall, a great car (so far), and if you have ever thought of buying one, I would not hesitate. I will update this if anything major arises.

Review Date: 14th May, 2013

1989 Chevrolet Corvette 350 V8 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 350 V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Wonder weekend cruiser

Passenger side courtesy light and trunk switch do not work, and window defogger was missing.

Rear trim and interior roof halo cracked.

Right rear speaker squeals.

Parts are on order.

General Comments:

The car is in good shape and looks great.

Fast for the time, not the fastest now, but still a quick car.

Would like more headroom, sometimes my head brushes the headliner.

I've wanted one for 20 years, and finally got one for my mid-life crisis. I'm loving it!

Review Date: 9th July, 2010

9th Jul 2010, 18:35

"I've wanted one for 20 years, and finally got one for my mid-life crisis."

I've never even once seen a Corvette being driven by anyone other than a man who is clearly having his mid-life crisis. It's the exact reason I'd never buy a Corvette.

1989 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L L89 from North America

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 5.7L L89 Automatic
Previous carPontiac GTO

Summary:

I was glad to get rid of it

Something broke on it about every 2 months. Was in garage more than on the road.

Major things - 3 fuel pumps, injectors plugged up, ECM blew. Last straw was head gasket started leaking.

General Comments:

Maybe I got a bad one, but I hear the above problems are normal for a Corvette? If so, I don't want another one.

Performance was odd. I never felt I was fully in control.

Very uncomfortable, and hard to get in and out.

Cheap materials for the interior. Looks like a sixth grader installed it with elmers glue and bubblegum.

The reason I chose this car is the same reason I chose women... for the way it looked... great looking car... too bad it let me down the same way as every good looking woman I've dated... you think I would have learned by now and just marry a fat chick.

Review Date: 18th January, 2010

1989 Chevrolet Corvette C4 Convertible L89 350ci from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission L89 350ci Automatic
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

More addictive than crack cocaine and safer than sex

Factory Alternator Failed.

Brakes Vacuum Assist Failed.

Power Seat and Window Switches Failed.

Electronic Climate Control Fails Intermittently.

General Comments:

Overall a wonderful performance vehicle. Blistering acceleration, grips road like a magnet and head turning good looks.

The engine has been about bullet proof. Items which failed are to be expected of a vehicle driven daily of this age.

If you cannot work on cars yourself, expect some difficulty finding an experienced Corvette mechanic, and they come at a premium cost.

Review Date: 15th January, 2005

24th Jan 2005, 08:10

"an experienced Corvette mechanic"?

Why would you need to find one of those? Doesn't the powertrain (especially on an '89) use most if not all the same components found on other GM vehicles?

16th Feb 2010, 15:02

The electronics with all the relay switches and four on board computer on the 89 vette make it more advanced than most 2010 cars on the road! Don't believe me, road race one on a twistie, curvy road, see ya!!! The c-4 (1983.5-1996) suspension is so advanced you can buy the package out of Ecklers for the C-2 for three thousand dollars!!!

Vette owner/lover.