2013 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4 turbo from North America

Summary:

Surprisingly good car from Chevrolet

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the car since I have owned it.

General Comments:

Very pleased indeed with my purchase. We initially had one as a rental car, and I was surprised by how well it handled and how good the build quality was.

Our Cruze LT handles great for a car of its size; it has reasonably firm (for North American standards) suspension, it's very chuckable around corners, and I dare say it has a slightly sporty feel. Composed and refined over bumps (there's plenty of these in Nova Scotia), after test driving many other cars (Mazda 323/626, new Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima and many more) this was the best for the ride.

Small engine, but you wouldn't know it - I thought it was a 2 litre in the rental car (our car is the 1.4L turbo). Only a little turbo lag, but for regular driving you wouldn't know it. Put your foot down and it goes at a reasonable pace.

Build quality is very good. Interior materials are not very high quality, but very acceptable for a vehicle of its price range. Exterior is good, our car is an ex-rental car and there are barely any scratches or chips on the outside. Feels like there has been a bit more of an effort protecting the areas where the sheet metal folds over from rust; the edges are all sealed with some kind of flexible strip and painted over.

The body feels very rigid, no creaks or sounds within the cabin. It feels like you are driving a much more expensive car, it's fairly quiet. Steering is on the light side, but it's effortless to drive, particularly around town. The body rigidity probably helps with making the ride so good.

Interior is thoughtfully laid out; go for the reversing camera option as the infotainment screen is way better than the basic one, and the reversing camera is actually quite handy.

Only downsides for me are the closeness of the dash and centre console to your knees, the small legroom in the rear (just about OK for big kids), and the tightness of the front seats. I'm slim-ish, but find that the seat bolsters squish my butt on a long drive. Chevrolet should have made the interior slightly longer and the engine bay slightly smaller - there's quite some room around the engine.

Not quite as good on fuel as I was hoping (average 7.5 litres/100km) but I guess not bad either for 50/50 city/highway driving.

If you are considering a new car, the Cruze may surprise you.

Review Date: 13th March, 2014

14th Mar 2014, 22:14

I would like to commend you for your very well written and descriptive review. Your summary makes a good point in that many people won't think a Chevrolet can be high quality, until as in your case, they spend some time with one.

6th Apr 2014, 09:36

Many thanks for your comments. I was unsure whether to write an article, but as the Cruze had exceeded my expectations, I felt I should pass this on to others. I forgot to mention that I also test drove the Cruze diesel; if you can afford the extra, this is the one to get, way faster than the 1.4. Very quiet and no diesel smell, it's a very impressive engine indeed. We couldn't quite stretch to a new car, and don't do the miles to justify the extra cost.

21st Aug 2014, 09:36

Just rented a 2014 LTZ model during a one week vacation and was pleasantly surprised. Looking to trade in my Camry and get one of these. Only had the car for a week and don't think that entitles me to write a full review, but your review covers most of it anyway, thank you.

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 1.4L turbo from North America

Summary:

Fun, quite quick, and great on fuel

Got a chip in the paint.

General Comments:

This thing is great. It's not a super car, but it's fun.

It get amazing MPG; the best was 67.2, worst was 29.6. I run 93 to 94 grade fuel.

It handles nice and rides with a sporty feel. I've had lots of car, and this is my favorite. Plus it looks sexy and has lots of toys.

I can keep going, but I have a life

Review Date: 2nd August, 2013

15th Mar 2014, 00:34

The last comment was a bit unnecessary. This place is for people to share their reviews and experiences with their cars and possibly help other consumers out. Just because one takes the time to write a detailed and thorough review does not mean they "don't have a life", which is what I think you were implying. Get back to us when you've had your car longer and racked up more miles, if your life doesn't interfere too much.

2013 Chevrolet Cruze from North America

Summary:

Econo car that doesn't look or act like one

Nothing, as this was a rental car over a 4 day trip.

General Comments:

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience with renting a Chevy Cruze over a 4 day trip.

I've rented a lot of cars over the years - even a few sports cars - and this was the most enjoyable of them all.

To summarize, you get a lot of bang for the buck. What's really surprising is that I've driven GM econo-cars in the past, and they were truly awful, creaky cars. Not so with this one. The fit, finish and overall quality was really high. The doors closed solidly and quietly. No rattles. The interior was really well laid-out as well. The interior was also amazingly quiet. Perhaps one of the quietest cars I've driven.

I think what I liked best was the way it handled. Now - granted I currently own two old, dilapidated cars, but to me at least the Cruz was a really peppy, energetic, and well handling car. The engine makes a nice satisfying growl when you punch the gas. The transmission feels really tight and precise. The suspension was very responsive. The car was also so quiet that I would accidentally be going 75MPH and not actually realize it.

Lastly, it got great fuel economy. I was getting close to 40MPG, even though I wasn't driving it exactly very conservatively.

Bottom line, this is a good car for the money, and a good car in general.

Review Date: 24th January, 2013