2006 Chevrolet HHR Reviews - Page 2 of 4

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L from North America

Model year2006
Engine and transmission 2.2L Manual
Previous carBuick Skylark

Summary:

Hauls a lot of stuff... for a really tall station wagon

Road noise - it's quite noticeable. I keep pressing the window buttons to make sure they're up. It's not a quiet ride by any stretch of the imagination.

Rattles a lot - what did they put the parts on with - glue? Of course, there's no insulation anywhere I think - so you hear everything. I'm afraid to have a conversation on my cel when the the car is off, because it's no better than a telephone booth.

Steering does feel mushy sometimes, like you're driving on ice. You wonder why there's not more feedback.

Cheap feeling and looking on the inside. Of course, if you want luxury, this ain't the car. Maybe the SS version of the HHR looks and feel less like like the inside of a Airbus AC30.

2.2L is definitely gutless. Replaced the intake manifold to try to squeeze a little more HP out of it. I'm glad for the manual shift - otherwise I think I'd be frustrated just trying to pass pedestrians.

General Comments:

I haul a lot of stuff. And the fact that I can stick an 8 foot ladder or 8 foot lumber inside my car means a great deal.

Overall, I bought the thing for the mileage, the way it looks on the outside, and the ability to carry stuff like a van.

Looks good on the outside.

Review Date: 14th December, 2010

16th Dec 2010, 06:04

HHR 2008. It has 96,000 miles, great car. I use it as my work car in office machine repair. I drive all around the city and state. It has low wind noise, is a great ride, has great mileage. I have no problem with this car.

Last words - great car...

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.4 Ecotec from Mexico

Model year2007
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.4 Ecotec Automatic
Previous carMercury Sable

Summary:

Great!

* At this moment, the car is doing an annoying clunk in the front.

* The steering wheel rattles when I brake.

General Comments:

* I love the shape of this car, and the engine performance is good.

* Economical.

* Very roomy.

* Is a shame that the problems and issues of this car are due to the lack of craftsmanship when assembled.

Review Date: 19th January, 2010

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT from North America

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006

Summary:

I like it for its look but that is about it, will not buy the same vehicle again

I just had the tires replaced, I am very happy that the ones I had from the purchase date lasted more than 76,000 miles, but I have two bent rims, and I have already had one rim fixed because of the same problem. Does the "low profile" of the car make it easier to bend rims? My alignment is fine, I don't understand how the rims could be bent but my alignment is not altered. I don't know really anything about cars, but this seems odd to me.

General Comments:

Great gas mileage.

Review Date: 19th October, 2009

19th Oct 2009, 14:17

Your HHR LT has custom aluminum rims. Aluminum rims bend more than the old fashioned steel rims because they're not as strong. I always make sure that the car I buy has steel rims. Aluminum rims get scuffs and nicks much easier than steel ones too and they're more difficult to repair. If this is the only thing that's happened to your HHR, you've got a great car! Just go to the junkyard and buy some used steel rims from a Cobalt or HHR. Make sure they're the same size as your old ones.

19th Oct 2009, 15:02

Are they "out of round" or simply bent from hitting curbs etc?

Some alloy wheels do go out of round from even hitting potholes. Of course they will dent if you bounce off a curb now and then, and the rims tend to take the hit when you have low profile tyres.

19th Oct 2009, 18:01

The lower ride hide ("profile" as you stated it) should not cause your rims to bend out of shape. I've owned plenty of smaller, lower vehicles in my life, and I've never had any issues with the rims.

If you are hitting very large bumps at high speed, that could bend your rim, however, it also would throw off your alignment as well. Are you sure it is aligned correctly? Not trying to be insulting or anything, but you said you don't know much about cars. When your driving on a straight road, look at your steering wheel, it is perfectly straight? If it isn't, then your alignment is off.

Bent rims could also be caused by severely underinflated tires, or driving on a flat tire.