2007 Chevrolet HHR Reviews

Year of manufacture2007
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

Looks like nothing else on the road, and is worth every penny paid

Intermittent lighting on speedo. Replaced under warranty.

Defective turn signal switch. Replaced under warranty.

General Comments:

The car is reliable, and it consistently averages 29 plus MPG.

I love the retro style. The ride comfort is more than adequate. Excellent utility, as we use it like a truck on a regular basis. We regularly tow a small utility trailer. It handles well in snow and rain, and has an excellent stereo.

Review Date: 30th March, 2011

2007 Chevrolet HHR 1LT Ecotec 2.2 from North America

Year of manufacture2006
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission Ecotec 2.2 Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz E-Class

Summary:

The HHR is efficient and characterful, but has some ergonomic issues

49530 miles: Squeak from front end on stopping or shutting doors. The climate control recirculation flap was loose. CPO warranty repair.

General Comments:

This car is funky looking. However, that funkiness with the thick pillars and little windows results in poor visibility. I've gotten used to it since I got the car, but I often have to crane my neck to see traffic lights.

The interior is really plasticy, but I was expecting this. It's not a luxury car. When I have the stereo up all the way, sometimes I hear a buzz from an unidentified trim piece.

The window switches on the bottom of the centre stack are in an asinine position, and unlit. It's awkward to reach down there, especially at night.

There's that weird white LED in the headliner - I guess this is to illuminate the centre stack and compensate for the unlit window switches. It seems kind of kludgy to me.

The transmission is reluctant to downshift when I'm trying to merge onto a freeway or pass somebody on a rural road. I feel like peak torque comes up around 4000rpm, and the transmission always wants to keep the engine below 3000 unless I floor it.

It feels really lightweight - wind wander is a problem, and panels are easily dented.

But I can live with all these faults. The car provides more than adequate performance, great cargo space, and good fuel economy (26-29mpg / 9L/100km combined city/highway with roof rack crossbars, and I certainly don't drive for economy). It's my first car of my own and while I'm a huge fan of other cars (BMW 3 series E46 coupes!) I plan on driving this car to at least 150,000 miles.

There are a million other HHRs on the road where I live in Michigan, but I still smile every time I see one, especially if it's a SS or a Panel. There's just something about the design. While the HHR may not be a great car in performance or quality metrics, it is competent, and undeniably has character, something that is lacking in the average econobox.

Review Date: 5th November, 2010

7th Nov 2010, 22:45

I certainly agree, these are really nice looking little trucks, kind of like a 1950's panel van meets small fuel efficient car. I like the Nissan Cube as well, but the HHR has a more classic look, especially the sporty SS model.

2007 Chevrolet HHR LT from North America

Year of manufacture2007
First year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired62000 miles

Summary:

A great little car

In October 2009 we bought a new HHR, and loved it so much we bought a 2007 HHR in April 2010.

The only problem I have is that this seems to be the only car made in America that doesn't have automatic or electronic door locks. I call it a "clicker." What's up with that?

Also, the automatic window openers are in a ridiculous location.

Review Date: 24th May, 2010

31st May 2010, 01:28

It does have automatic door locks - they are programmable and can be disabled through the customization mode of the Driver Information Center. If you bought the car used, the previous owner may have disabled it. With they key to "ON" press both the DIC Mode Change and Reset buttons simultaneously on the steering wheel. This will display the customization menu. Press the Menu key until you reach the menu option for Auto Lock and Auto Unlock. It will allow you to change options from Off, Shift to Park and Key Off. Choose the setting you like and your auto door locks will be enabled.

4th Jan 2011, 20:06

Neither of your HHR's are "American Made"; they were built in Mexico.

Don't let the Chevy logo fool you. GM cars are easy to tell where they were made. If the serial number start with 1, they were built in the USA, with a 2 Canada, with a 3 Mexico.