2010 Chevrolet Impala Review

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.5 OHV V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired19000 miles
Previous carOldsmobile 88

Summary:

A solid car with a good warranty, and great value used

Rear suspension clunk noise due to faulty stabilizer bar links, fixed under warranty.

Blower motor developed a squeak, fixed under warranty.

Air bag light came on due to a bad module, fixed under warranty.

There were a couple of recalls that were taken care of as well.

General Comments:

I looked at many used vehicles before deciding to limit my search to a GM product, mainly due to the fact that GM products have always held up well for me, and are relatively inexpensive to maintain. I was not impressed with the Malibu's design, so I looked at the Impala, and was pleasantly surprised by the ride and handling. It was comparable to a Buick Lacrosse I looked at (which shared the same platform until this year). Very comfortable, and a good, solid ride.

The 3.5 V6 and 4T45E transaxle are proven components that are easy to repair/maintain.

Although I will admit city MPG could be better (average 18-20MPG), this car really delivers outstanding highway MPG for this size of a car (29.8 MPG).

The car has a lot of nice standard features, although since mine is a former rental, it does not have Onstar or Satellite radio, but that is not an issue for me. The radio in this vehicle has a CD player and auxiliary input, and is very good for a stock radio.

One comment if buying used... look for a dealer that sells GM Certified Used Vehicles. Not all GM dealers participate in this program, but mine does. In addition to the basic 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, GM Certified adds an additional 12 months/12,000 miles to the warranty. Powertrain warranty is 5 years/100,000 miles. If you can find one of these that is under a year old, inspect it thoroughly, verify the history (I will not buy a car that has been registered in states that use heavy road salt in the winter) and if it passes the inspection, these cars are really a good value used, especially with the additional warranty.

As far as service, my dealer has been very good at addressing my concerns. However, I perform routine maintenance myself.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2011

23rd Feb 2012, 09:42

Have you ever had an idling issue with yours? I have a 2011 with the 3500, and at 31000 miles, it's developed an idling issue. The car seems to shake, and the tachometer jumps as well.

24th Jun 2012, 21:32

Original poster here...

I have had absolutely no idling issues whatsoever, and am about to turn 40,000 miles. I use only Chevron gasoline, and am very picky about keeping my vehicle maintained.

10th Aug 2012, 14:24

I just bought a used 2010 LTZ with the 3.9 engine and 4 speed auto, and 15000 miles on the clock. The previous owner was an elderly gentleman who lost his license.

My question is - does anyone with the engine and vintage have intake or head gasket problems? I heard this may be an issue for me.

Not sure I like the 18" tires either because of the replacement cost.

11th Aug 2012, 16:25

A lot of myths are spread by import owners about all domestic cars. I've heard the story about head gasket and intake gasket problems with the GM engines, but I have never known a single GM owner who had this problem. We've owned a number of GM cars, and none ever had this problem or any other problem. Our current GM was bought new 10 years ago, and has over 100,000 miles on it. It has never had a single repair of any kind.

30th Oct 2012, 01:19

If you've never known someone who had a GM with a intake manifold gasket problem, allow me to introduce myself. It's very common on specific engines, so your GM may not apply.

30th Oct 2012, 16:13

This problem with the intake manifold is mainly isolated to the 3.8 Series II produced from around 1994-2005 and the 3.1. These engines were used on a lot of models. I personally have had a Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 and 2 Buick Park Avenues with the Series II 3.8, and never had any issues with the engines. However I have known several people who have experienced it with both engines, including my parents with a Bonneville that had the 3.8.

Average review marks: 9.6 / 10, based on 1 review