2004 Chevrolet Optra Reviews - Page 2 of 6

2004 Chevrolet Optra from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012

Summary:

This car could be your funeral

Where to begin, I'll probably forget something.

Get the car, and weeks later a window will not go down. 200 bucks to fix, as a used car receives no warranty with GM.

Bought 4 snow tires.

Fuel pump failed.

Water pump failed. Was replaced along with timing belt and brakes (all coolant lost, causing overheating on the highway).

Bought 4 new all season tires.

Water pump failed again.

Continued to lose coolant regularly (another overheat).

The car won't turn on, needs a new battery, spark plugs and wires (understandable).

Engine light has been on almost as long as I've had the car.

Every morning is a struggle to turn the car on (or if it's been off more than a couple of hours).

Good luck!

General Comments:

Was great for a while, good on gas and cute. Now I'm just waiting for whatever is coming next, and since I do a lot of highway driving, I am constantly scared something is about to happen.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2012

24th Jan 2012, 19:46

Buying new tyres for the appropriate season isn't a fault, sorry.

24th Jan 2012, 22:59

Try to sell or trade in, while you still can!!

17th Feb 2012, 14:58

HAHA, crap, I have this car, and I have experienced everything you just mentioned, AND MORE! I can't believe other people have all of these problems. I just got EVERYTHING fixed.

- Valve cover gaskets

- Head gaskets

- Fuel pump

- Water pump

- Front and rear brakes

- Thermostat

- Exhaust manifold

And I'm probably forgetting something -- I have a friend who's boyfriend is a mechanic, so thankfully it didn't cost too much. But now, I think I have an oil leak. Great.

Honestly, screw this car, and screw Chevy for taking the Daewoo in and selling it. The only reason I am still driving this POS is because I am a student and can't afford much of anything else. As soon as I am making money, I say out with the old and in with the new.

2004 Chevrolet Optra from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance142000 kilometres
Previous carPlymouth Voyager

Summary:

Total deception and waste of money

My head gasket blew at 103000 km, and another time at 137000, many issues with the car. All parts are purchased from dealer only, and imported.

General Comments:

This car is a lemon all the way, and Chevrolet know it. I am disappointed.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2010

2004 Chevrolet Optra LS 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Manual

Summary:

Horrible, avoid

- Back brakes seized (Summer 2010).

- Head gasket blew (10/06/10).

- Replace headlights every 2 months.

General Comments:

This car is a horrible lemon. Never buy this vehicle. Just do a google search for 2004 Chevrolet Optra head gasket. Usually if you do for other vehicles, you will see more parts stores than consumer sites where people are complaining about the obvious faults.

- Head gasket blew at 98,000 KM.

- Back brakes seized (Summer 2010).

Review Date: 6th October, 2010

2004 Chevrolet Optra 5 gas from North America

Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission gas Automatic
Distance when acquired92000 kilometres
Previous carOldsmobile Achieva

Summary:

Money hole lemon. Do not buy this car

I first got the car, as my mom has a Optra wagon 2006.

She has had no problems with it at all, and good gas mileage on hers..

Within a week, I was back into the dealership with fluid leaking; I had driven a friend to another city for court, and when we came out, there was a huge green yellowy leak, which surrounded the whole car; had to have it taken by flat bed to the dealership. It was a tranny leak; hoses had crumbled.

1 week later I was driving and heard a weird noise; didn't think much of it, but when coming back to the car after going to the store, I noticed a black rubber baffle hanging behind the passenger wheel. Went back to the dealership (the car is still under warranty); they tell me it will cost me another 250.00 to replace and install a new baffle. I told them to put the old one back in as it wasn't damaged (always wondered why it fell out). A week later I received traffic ticket due to a head light out, I had no clue, went to dealership and had to pay to replace the whole light fixture; they said it wasn't covered.

2 weeks later I come out of my house to find yet another reddish leak under the car, and it wasn't a small leak either; again back to the dealership to have tranny hoses fixed again. As well as cooling lines.

Again another headlight about 2 months later.

Had to go to another city via highway. On the way home, it started to make a clunking noise. In seconds there was a loud bang and black smoke filled the car. Thank god I didn't have my children in the car; had to wait on the side of the highway for 45 minutes on the coldest day in Canadian winter. Called the dealership; they tell me the warranty ran out a week prior, so any fixing will be paid by me.

So took it to my old mechanic and dropped a used engine in it. Turns out the oil pump inside the engine stopped working, which caused a piston to blow a 2 inch hole in the bottom of my engine (all maintenance was done, as well as oil changers). There was no reason for the engine to blow.

General Comments:

Now with new used engine in my Optra5, I am very displeased and ready to paint a big yellow lemon on the side, and park it in front of the dealership.

I wouldn't have bought this car if my old Achieva hadn't died on me; she was a work horse and she lasted 13 years, and I drove her hard and she lasted...

My whole family have had GM products going back to the early 50's; this is really making me want to go to a foreign brand. Buyer beware...

Review Date: 13th April, 2010

20th Apr 2010, 10:56

Now here is a new problem with this Optra 5 of mine, the gears are slipping when driving; the most scary part about it is it happened on the highway a few times now with my kids in it. Thank god I can handle these types of situations.

My idea is a class action suit against GM; they shouldn't have ever designed or bought this kind of vehicle; it gives them a really bad name...