2004 Chevrolet Optra Reviews - Page 3 of 7

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission gas Automatic
Distance when acquired92000 kilometres
Previous carOldsmobile Achieva

Summary:

Money hole lemon. Do not buy this car

I first got the car, as my mom has a Optra wagon 2006.

She has had no problems with it at all, and good gas mileage on hers..

Within a week, I was back into the dealership with fluid leaking; I had driven a friend to another city for court, and when we came out, there was a huge green yellowy leak, which surrounded the whole car; had to have it taken by flat bed to the dealership. It was a tranny leak; hoses had crumbled.

1 week later I was driving and heard a weird noise; didn't think much of it, but when coming back to the car after going to the store, I noticed a black rubber baffle hanging behind the passenger wheel. Went back to the dealership (the car is still under warranty); they tell me it will cost me another 250.00 to replace and install a new baffle. I told them to put the old one back in as it wasn't damaged (always wondered why it fell out). A week later I received traffic ticket due to a head light out, I had no clue, went to dealership and had to pay to replace the whole light fixture; they said it wasn't covered.

2 weeks later I come out of my house to find yet another reddish leak under the car, and it wasn't a small leak either; again back to the dealership to have tranny hoses fixed again. As well as cooling lines.

Again another headlight about 2 months later.

Had to go to another city via highway. On the way home, it started to make a clunking noise. In seconds there was a loud bang and black smoke filled the car. Thank god I didn't have my children in the car; had to wait on the side of the highway for 45 minutes on the coldest day in Canadian winter. Called the dealership; they tell me the warranty ran out a week prior, so any fixing will be paid by me.

So took it to my old mechanic and dropped a used engine in it. Turns out the oil pump inside the engine stopped working, which caused a piston to blow a 2 inch hole in the bottom of my engine (all maintenance was done, as well as oil changers). There was no reason for the engine to blow.

General Comments:

Now with new used engine in my Optra5, I am very displeased and ready to paint a big yellow lemon on the side, and park it in front of the dealership.

I wouldn't have bought this car if my old Achieva hadn't died on me; she was a work horse and she lasted 13 years, and I drove her hard and she lasted...

My whole family have had GM products going back to the early 50's; this is really making me want to go to a foreign brand. Buyer beware...

Review Date: 13th April, 2010

20th Apr 2010, 10:56

Now here is a new problem with this Optra 5 of mine, the gears are slipping when driving; the most scary part about it is it happened on the highway a few times now with my kids in it. Thank god I can handle these types of situations.

My idea is a class action suit against GM; they shouldn't have ever designed or bought this kind of vehicle; it gives them a really bad name...

2004 Chevrolet Optra 2.0L from North America