2005 Chevrolet Optra Reviews - Page 2 of 8

2005 Chevrolet Optra 1.6A from Malaysia

Engine and transmission
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Smooth running, but bad aftersales & service

Engine suddenly stops while driving. When taken to Chevrolet service centre, couldn't rectify the problem.

General Comments:

Very bad after sales & service. Don't know if this mechanics has knowledge of rectifying the problem. I don't think so they are trained too. They keep guessing things! What a shame! Then why sell or market Chevrolet!

No need for service centres when they just can't rectify problems!

Review Date: 1st October, 2010

2005 Chevrolet Optra LS 2.0L twin cam from North America

Model year2005
Engine and transmission 2.0L twin cam Automatic
Distance when acquired32000 kilometres

Summary:

Imported engine, slammed onto an American chassis. No integration between them

EGR valve coolant gasket blown at 50,900K. Replaced under warranty.

Oil pump spline seal blew at 80,000 K, replaced under warranty. Also required new timing belt due to oil damage.

Factory recall for electrical issues behind dash causing melted harness.

Door handle on drivers door broke, plastic snapped off.

Now we have gasoline odor in the coolant reservoir.

HEAD GASKET! $1000 to fix!!!

General Comments:

This car is poorly designed, has very expensive parts aftermarket.

Nothing but powertrain issues, you can't even check the transmission fluid levels (sealed unit as the dealer calls it!!)

Coolant gaskets are blowing all over the engine, there is NO aftermarket repair manual.

Checked into fuel filter pricing - PUMP/FILTER is one unit! Replacement cost = $700 (for the whole in-tank fuel pump)

Review Date: 2nd March, 2010

16th Mar 2010, 09:02

I think your mechanic took advantage of you. These engines do not have timing belts. My GM service advisor told me they use timing chains. There would be no reason to change a timing chain at 80,000km. They should be good for about 300,000-400,000km.

16th Mar 2010, 22:55

I feel your pain. I will never buy an Optra again! My head gaskets are gone now too and they are telling me there is a 50/50 chance my cylinder head is shot as well. I've had nothing but issues with it since I got it 4 years ago.

11th Oct 2010, 19:37

I also agree. Had the DRL recall fixed at the dealer and they stopped working again. Now no interior lights work either.

Had the transmission changed under warranty, door lock solenoid has to be changed, and now I have the head gasket to do. Luckily I am able to do certain things on the vehicle myself, but still a poorly designed car for our seasons. Unfortunately, GM has lost yet another client.

11th Jan 2012, 14:39

Funny you mention that this car had no timing belt. The one I replaced the head on had a timing belt on it. Maybe it was just me, after all I've only been at this trade for 25 years now... Still a rookie I guess.

10th Feb 2012, 11:25

Sorry, but I just checked my 2005 Optra 2.0l, and it is a belt, not a chain; your mechanic is not very good at what he does.

10th Feb 2012, 21:00

It's basically a Korean car sold here as a Chevy...

7th Oct 2012, 06:18

Sorry buddy, I don't know where you got this info; all 2L D-TECs sold in North America have timing belts. It is a Daewoo Nubira engine.

29th Jan 2013, 09:57

The 2005 Chevy Optra most definitely has a timing belt! I know, because I changed mine!

8th May 2014, 21:48

Your mechanic was wrong... there is a timing belt on all 2005 Optra models... mine blew off, I saw the damage.

I can for sure tell you there are NO timing chains in any of those 2.0L D-Tech motors on the Optra models.

2005 Chevrolet Optra LS DOHC 16v from Saudi Arabia

Model year2005
Engine and transmission DOHC 16v Manual
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

It will last if you maintain it properly. Can compete with Civic, Ford Taurus and Toyota Corolla

The car's air conditioning broke down at 27,000 miles. Good to know it was still under warranty, and had it replaced brand new.

General Comments:

I have lived with it for 4 years. I have maintained it from the dealer itself with my scheduled maintenance booklet up until the warranty coverage, and it's still running well.

However, the 4 shock absorbers had to be replaced after 75,000 miles, which I have purchased brand new.

Dashboard is useless for a wife, who always brings her pack of tissues and paraphernalia. Other than that, the interior compartment is usable. Very roomy and comfortable with kids.

I travel on freeway daily, rushing not less than 140,000 kph on a fast lane, and I don't experience any hassles., smooth like a wind. Brake system is magnificent coz I had experience a sudden stop running at the top speed of 120,000 kph... whew.. close to death..

Spare parts are always available at a good reasonable price.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2009