1988 Chevrolet S-10 Sport 2.5 I4 TBI from North America

Summary:

Beast

Transmission blew at 188 000.

Engine blew at 200 000.

Starter at 190 000.

Have replaced in the last year; rear leafs and shocks, front wheel bearings, all brakes, tie-rods, starter.

Bench seat is worn, but still comfortable enough.

Shifting into reverse is loud.

Dash heater only works on half of the windshield wipers, so when it's cold and snowy, only half the windshield gets really clean.

General Comments:

Reliable truck, I have pushed it hard, and while it suffers from normal wear and tear, it does a great job.

Cheap and easy fix, I have done several major repairs on it, and only took it to the mechanic for the engine, as it happened on the side of the road 200 miles from home.

Small little truck. It's easy to handle, and even without power steering or power brakes, it is easy enough to drive around, and good in traffic.

Review Date: 5th March, 2011

1988 Chevrolet S-10 Base 2.5L 4 from North America

Summary:

Spartan Rust Goddess

Replaced battery.

Rust everywhere, but floors are solid.

Needs drivers side door bushings.

Rear view mirror fell off.

General Comments:

I purchased this fine truck from a guy who had it since new, and kept it around to do dump runs and the like. He had given it to his nephew who had it as a first vehicle, and was going to junk it now that the need was gone. Am I glad he didn't!

This is the most stripped down vehicle I have ever owned -- power nothing. No power steering, no power brakes (but they are front disc), 5 speed manual, vinyl bench seat, rubber floor.

The 2.5 "iron Duke" inline four is noisy, and underpowered -- but delivers 31 MPG on the highway.

The rear leaf springs provide good hauling capacity (I have overloaded this truck considerably) and a very surprisingly comfortable ride.

The rust is horrendous, but it passes inspection without incident.

I take this truck up through the Adirondack mountains, and through the Catskills regularly. It makes the hills, even when loaded. It may only do 55 when cresting the peaks, but it does it.

I hope she runs forever, and being that she burns no oil, and has been maintained, I believe she might.

Review Date: 15th September, 2010

1988 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe 4.6L V6 from North America

Summary:

Very reliable truck, rusty but trusty

The box is rusted through.

Seats are worn, but a seat cover works!

Only gets about 17-19 miles to the gallon, which isn't too bad though.

Back tires wear out too fast, but that's the tire manufacturer's fault ;)

General Comments:

Lots of power!

Never stops running, I would take it on a trip across the country.

The cab is pretty spacious!

Can fit three people in cab without much discomfort.

Review Date: 12th February, 2009

1988 Chevrolet S-10 2.5 from North America

Summary:

I love these trucks

Rear end went out due to previous owner puncturing the diff. cover.

Original seat, but worn.

Have made a lot of rust repairs.

Brake lines replaced due to rust.

Replaced radiator.

General Comments:

The truck has its original engine that runs excellent.

It has become a member of our family because of its reliability and character.

We get a lot of grief from superficial people because it's not very pretty (we call it ROT, which stands for Rusty Old Truck), but we don't care, we figure it's just their ignorance speaking.

One time it pulled a dead grain truck home, and the only bad part was getting traction.

We will miss this little guy, for I think the body will go far before the drive train.

I'm surprised General Motors doesn't want to study these trucks to see what they did right.

Review Date: 29th December, 2008

30th Dec 2008, 01:31

Chevy fullsize gas trucks rule... they needn't do anything... just don't be so wasteful and dumb with their money like it can never run out.

Glad you enjoy your mid size, the fullsize is even better ;-)