1988 Chevrolet S-10 Reviews - Page 3 of 5

1988 Chevrolet S-10 Base 2.5 litre - TBI from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 2.5 litre - TBI Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

A sturdy, handy and reliable little truck

Starter motor went at 88,000.

Fuel pump at 110,000.

Bench seat is in sad shape - I ought to replace.

Vehicle has several electrical anomalies that I can't be bothered to trace/repair (in cold weather, e.g., dash lights will inexplicably and intermittently cut out).

In extreme cold, speedometer cable screeches like a banshee being castrated with a rusty can opener. When vehicle warms up, sound stops.

General Comments:

Unless you're pulling out tree stumps or hauling silage, this is all the truck you need. Sure, it is quite underpowered, but that little 2.5 liter 4 cylinder is an absolute "anvil" when it comes to reliability.

I have done numerous DIY jobs on my house and have used this truck to haul lumber, sheet rock, doors, windows, appliances, wall-stone, bricks, sand, concrete mix, plantings, mulch and firewood. On several occasions I know I exceeded the rated half-ton payload.

Review Date: 8th June, 2004

1988 Chevrolet S-10 Extended cab, pickup 2.8 from North America

Previous carJeep CJ7

Summary:

Economical, comfortable, hard-worker

Wiring harness for oil pressure sender and fuel pump melted on the exhaust manifold. This caused the truck to quit running because the fuel pump no longer worked. Weird way to wire it in my opinion.

Blown hose (not trucks fault by any means) Very cheap and plentiful parts a real plus.

Auto tranny fluid pan much harder to remove than it needs to be. Just a minor quirk.

General Comments:

Let me start off by saying that despite a few issues, I really like this truck.

I believe that an engine should at least get good gas mileage if it doesn't have much power. This truck has neither! Gas mileage is approx. 16-19 around town.

The overdrive transmission is always hunting for the right gear, probably due in part to the overworked engine, and these early 700R4's are notorious for this as well. I prefer stick shifts anyway.

Other than that I have to say this is a really good little truck, it will haul a lot, is comfortable to drive, and the air conditioning/heating is second to none!

I do all my own work and would have to say this truck is one of the simplest vehicles to work on and cheapest. Parts are plentiful and available everywhere making it economical to operate.

Review Date: 29th April, 2004

27th Mar 2008, 18:09

My name's Freddy P. I have a 1988 Chevy S10 extended cab. I do body work, and those problems with the truck are so true, I work on it myself. It's funny, I just rewired the harness above the manifold and just replaced the manifold and got a custom exhaust. Ever since I've had the truck, every day it's getting better. I just took the back windows out for the custom job, but this truck has so much potential.

1988 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer 2.8 V6 fuel injected from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 fuel injected Automatic

Summary:

One tough off road SOB

As with most older Jimmies, the front control arms and the ball joints have needed to be replaced as well with tie rods and tie rod ends.

Seat wear not that bad, the previous owner neglected them though so I will need new ones.

The rear axle seals are leaking into the drums.

New air filter, previous owner neglected replacement.

Rust and rot around the wheel wells and fenders.

General Comments:

Pretty good truck, I only had to pay 1,600 for it because I worked at the dealership.

The read seats fold down which is great, I can fit my tool box, creeper, and any parts I need in the truck.

I would easily pick this older SUV over a brand new econo car for practicality.

Engine is small, but doesn't use too much fuel.

Because of the size of the engine I will probably need to purchase a crate engine in order to equip it with a supercharger.

Review Date: 14th February, 2004

1988 Chevrolet S-10 Ext Cab Sport 4X4 4.3 Ltr. Gasoline from North America

Engine and transmission 4.3 Ltr. Gasoline Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Beretta

Summary:

This is by far one of the best out there!

I have had problems with a lot, but before I get started on that let me say that I have owned 8 S trucks and I have only have major problems with this one. This truck was put threw everything from towing to mudding, I have had problems with suspension, well I have no leaf springs, and the front is just wasted, But its still a very good ride. The ignition switch went, the oxygen sensor, and the distributor. Other than that I have had no other problems except a new thing I just discovered, my four wheel high doesn't engage anymore, but my four wheel low does and when the truck is pushed or 60mph the center bearing by the transmission starts to vibrate the whole truck. But she was repaired to showroom condition, and then I got rear ended by a semi just the tractor, no trailer, at 45mph, I was at a dead stop. The rear end was almost fine the tailgate was a little bad, but the rest of the truck was fine. No bent frame or nothing the bed just buckled in a little bit. If you would like to ask me more about this truck email me at sledman@comcast.net And I am currently selling the truck to get a Bigger Truck so if anyone is interested email me at sledman@comcast.net the truck is being sold for $1200.

General Comments:

Look above!

Review Date: 3rd August, 2003