1989 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7 EFI from North America

Summary:

The commercials are true "Like A Rock!"

Radiator hose.

Thermostat.

U-joints.

Alternator.

Serpentine belt.

A/C pulley (stopped working, just hit it with WD40 and it's alive!).

Water pump.

Inner and outer tie rods.

Front brakes and rotors.

Repacked wheel bearings.

Tune up.

Burned about a pint of oil every 1000 miles.

General Comments:

My first thoughts on buying an older vehicle were thin, but I took the deal. It's been through everything from being a farm hand, a loaner, to hauling across state. Nothing has prevented it from being road worthy thanks to the early 350 V8 EFI and its cheap repairs.

Review Date: 13th January, 2017

1989 Chevrolet Silverado C 1500 Ext. Cab Long Bed 5.7 liter from North America

Summary:

A great truck

Replaced transmission at 295,012 miles.

Replaced seats at 208,670 miles.

Replaced body bolts at 300,009 miles. (body bolts hold truck to frame)

Replaced all gaskets around 400,000 miles.

Replaced driver and passenger side window motors.

Replaced all windows at 215,421 miles.

Replaced rear axle at 208,468 miles.

General Comments:

All in all this truck has been a great one. Everything I replaced Had diteriorated from being used so much and being so untaken care of by the previous owner.

This truck however is powerful, fast, and quick. And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Review Date: 21st August, 2003

14th Oct 2003, 16:16

I have the same truck, I have 385,000 KM's on it and feel the same way as this guy about his. I would not trade this truck for anything.

I buy a new car every 2 years for my wife, but have had my truck now for 9 years.

I have done a good chunk of work to it, but being as old as it is, and all the KM's on it, I am fine with my investment.

1st Nov 2010, 16:59

I have had three trucks of this body style. I have always been a Chevy guy and this truck is the reason why. My current truck is also the oldest being 90. It has 140k on it and runs like it was new. It even outperforms my father in law's newer GMC Sierra. It's fast, has more power than I would ever need, and runs great, even though it's 2 decades old. It's been well maintained and I've had no mechanical problems at all. I will keep this truck until there's nothing left of it, and it'll probably be my son's first vehicle.

11th Dec 2013, 14:34

I have owned my 1989 ext cab long bed for 22 years.

Second owner. Now has 403,000 miles.

AMAZING TRUCK. I work this truck every week, drive it every single day as a contractor. Reach through the driver's window, turn the key and it fires right up, every time. Gonna see 500,000 miles soon and it will still be priceless to me.

22nd Oct 2017, 20:39

I just bought a 1989 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with about 200,000 miles. I paid $1500 for it and just before I took possession of it, the owner told me the brakes went bad. He gave me the option to renege on the deal and he would keep the truck, or he would have the truck towed to the shop and have the brakes fixed if I would reimburse him for the cost. He said he would give me the receipts for the brake work, which came to $750.42. Other than that, the truck seems to be solid. Is that a good deal or did I get taken to the cleaners?

1989 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 5.7 liter from North America

Summary:

An ox of a truck

Nothing.

General Comments:

This truck is seriously fast on the quarter mile it does 10.89. It has a 5.7 liter engine that equals 350 cubic inches.

I live on a ranch so I need a truck that will pull a fully loaded 37 foot horse trailer, six wheel tractor, or a trailer load of hay.

Review Date: 18th August, 2003

27th Aug 2003, 22:21

Unless that is one hell of a modified 350, there is no way you do a quarter mile in 10.89. I have a 98 Chevy with a Vortec 350 running approx. 325HP and 410 foot pounds of torque due to some mods. I'm lucky to break into the 14's.