1985 Chevrolet Sprint Reviews - Page 4 of 4

1985 Chevrolet Sprint ER 1.0 from North America

First year of ownership1985
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carChevrolet Sprint

Summary:

High performance racer

The only thing that went bad it the fuel line from the tank to the engine, but I made a custom gas tank and put it on the front bumper.

General Comments:

This car is a beast. 3 cylinder 1.0 Liter. The runs one 1 cylinder. You can peal out for over 15 feet and its only about 50 HP so that's pretty damn good. So far I have got the oil changed twice and it has 140,000 miles on it. I have a custom muffler which I build and it sounds great. I also have a custom air intake and gas tank. The gas tank is on the front bumper because the fuel line is shot. Handles excellent and is great for doing E-brake turns and donuts. Not many cars can challenge my Chevy Sprint ER and can come out with a victory. Any questions E-Mail me rcasian_7b3@yahoo.com.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2002

15th Apr 2004, 18:31

You put the gas tank on the front bumper?

Gee, what a great idea... why haven't the car manufacturers started doing this yet?

Would be interested to know how you manage to challenge anyone when your engine only runs on one cylinder. Too bad your email address is bogus.

Or maybe you just hit something with the gas tank and got barbqd...

18th Jun 2004, 12:23

I've seen this car on www.cardomain.com before. It's original. I still wonder how he got that much air...

1985 Chevrolet Sprint 1.0 from North America

First year of ownership1987
Most recent year of ownership2001
Distance when acquired22000 miles

Summary:

Doesn't want to quit, keeps going and going

1) A/C.

2) Clutch.

3) Fuel system.

4) Window cranks broke.

5) Seats torn.

General Comments:

Most reliable car I've ever seen, runs excellent to this day. Never left me stranded yet.

Acceleration is no match for todays car, but I do well in traffic and I can fly on the highway, just zooms right along, can't even hear the engine at all even at speeds of 75mph+.

Gas mileage is perfect, 45/50 mpg, I wish they still made this little car.

Review Date: 1st April, 2001

26th Apr 2001, 22:10

I must agree. The 1985 Chevy Sprint is the most reliable car I have ever owned. In 2000 I had to replace the tyranny, water pump, and CO2 sensor in the 8 years I've owned it. Other than the paint fading, I have no complaints.

Also a great gas saver.

1985 Chevrolet Sprint 3 cylinder 1.0 liter from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 3 cylinder 1.0 liter Manual
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Gas Mileage and Reliability Bargain

A/C was not functional when I bought the car (bad compressor).

Water pump wore out and leaked from the shaft seal (past 100,000 miles), needed replacement.

Mechanical fuel pump started to leak at 112,000 miles. Cam lobe driving the pump is now out of tolerance, so I converted it to electric fuel pump.

Interior has some wear.

General Comments:

Except for wear and tear parts, this car is extremely reliable. Car still averages 42-44 mpg. Parts still available, easy to work on and fix. Poor performance unless you have the Turbo model. Great money saver!

Review Date: 27th February, 2001

1985 Chevrolet Sprint 1.0 liter 3 cylinder 5-speed from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.0 liter 3 cylinder 5-speed Manual
Previous carToyota Pickup '77

Well, if I had put oil in the thing before I decided to go 90 MPH, it would have been fine, but it spun a bearing.

BTW: I found out later it went about a month without ANY oil, LOL!

General Comments:

The most reliable car I have ever owned. If only I had put oil into it...

Review Date: 2nd January, 2001

1985 Chevrolet Sprint 3 Cyl./61 Cu. In./1.0 L. from North America

Year of manufacture1985
Engine and transmission 3 Cyl./61 Cu. In./1.0 L.

Besides the lawnmower engine (Suzuki) under the hood, everything went wrong. Timing belt, oil burning, gas fumes, rust, electrical, automatic transmission (won't shift right), & recalled several times.

General Comments:

Looking in all my Chilton manuals, this car by far has the smallest engine compared to all cars ever made. No power, transmission will downshift on the tinyest hill. Bought brand new & kept up with oil changes & such - but only lasted 58,000+ miles (warranty ended at 50,000 miles), the cheap aluminum block warped (which lost compression & would not run). Junk yard gave me $75.

Review Date: 29th August, 1999

23rd Jan 2002, 21:17

Just bought a 1985 in 2002. It's been beaten senseless by a previous teen owner.

It won't pass the test smog due to valve and carb. related issues, which I will fix.

The aluminium block requires special treatment this owner must not have known about. Frequent adjustments are a MUST.

I will rebuild this Sprint and my son will drive it, because it's simple; the engine only weighs 185 lbs. There are but 3 cylinders. Runs rough? SURE. So what?

My first car was a Honda 600. I loved it. This is another one of those cars-to-fall-in-love-with IF you can do your own repairs and maintenance.

And baby it. Mine has 114,000 miles. Still runs, no smoke, after teen-abuse. What ELSE can I say?