1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 5.7 350 V8 from North America
Incredible truck with reliability and room to spare!
- 2 of the interior door handles broke and needed replacing.
- Several speakers were blown and needed to be replaced.
- Front seat warmers function intermittent.
- Wiper motor had to be replaced twice.
- A/C system developed large leak somewhere so the A/C did not work.
- TRANSMISSION. As most GM truck owners can attest, the 4l60e is the most prone to failure. This was the largest repair I had to perform on the truck while I had it... Just the nature of the beast unfortunately.
Hands down, the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Even when the transmission was failing, it still got me home. Push button four wheel drive never had an issue. Matter of fact, with the exception of the intermittent seat warmers, all electronics worked and never had a problem.
And talk about versatility!! Not many vehicles can handle 6 or more adults plus a week's worth of camping or beach gear, but the Suburban gobbles it up and asks for more. Next you could clean it up well and go out to a nice dinner, but just as quickly turn around and run this truck through the woods on a trail. And weather does not stop this truck. Point it at a blizzard and drive, no problem.
Stopping power on the original brakes is pretty poor so I upgraded the front brakes to towing grade slotted and drilled disks with new pads and calipers. I recommend them to all the OBS GM truck and SUV owners as it completely changes the confidence you have in the truck stopping.
The Suburban was a great workhorse and never, ever let me down. Not to mention it was super comfortable. It loses a few marks because of the poor fuel mileage which was not friendly to my wallet, but that is to be expected of such a heavy vehicle and old V8 technology. The truck did give great power though, and a quick muffler and tailpipe change gives the truck a great sound. I do miss the big girl, so 10/10 would buy again!
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 13th July, 2017