1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS from North America - Comments

17th Jan 2013, 12:00

Who would even remotely buy a Honda from a Suburban? Buy a new one. There are boat owners, horse owners, enclosed trailer owners that appreciate this vehicle. I don't think a 350 is going to save much more. It's a heavy great SUV. It actually may be worth keeping vs replacing. You won't buy a new one at that price. Big family and towing at the same time is what these vehicles are best at. Put some DVDs in it and enjoy the ride.

18th Jan 2013, 22:41

I agree that the 454 is overkill, but I also can't figure how the minor repairs your review mentions could total $5000. The brake pads for all four wheels on my GMC cost me $65. The stopped up A/C drain (cause of the interior leakage) is a very common and very inexpensive problem. The catalytic converters are expensive, but nowhere near $5000. More like $500. It sounds like a shop or dealer is trying to fleece you.

As far as Honda or Toyota? You've surely got to be kidding.

21st Jan 2013, 15:54

The 454 is beyond overkill. It's like hunting deer with a Bradley Assault Vehicle. There is no need for a big-block V8 engine in an SUV, especially when there are diesels and even smaller V8 engines that can produce similar power stats more efficiently.

While I love the Chevy big-blocks, the Vortec 454 is something of a joke compared to a late 1960s-early-1970s 454, which produced even more HP and torque than the 1990s Vortec 454. Like the later Ford 460 V8 engine, the older engines were much more powerful at even lower RPM too.

22nd Jan 2013, 10:16

Seems like a 427 V8 would be a far better choice than under 300 HP on the 350 and 454. I was tempted to buy a cool looking black 454SS Pickup with the better trans in 92. Til I saw how pathetic the actual HP was.

22nd Jan 2013, 16:31

I was ecstatically happy today to read a survey in a national news source that showed that fully 80 percent of Americans would actually pay MORE for domestic products. From all the ad hype and import brainwashing, one often gets the impression we are a nation of unpatriotic ingrates. It makes me feel great to know that those who would turn their backs on our own industry are only a tiny minority.

In recent months I have had several friends who traded their unreliable imports for solid American vehicles. Our economic woes have made many more people aware of the importance of buying from American companies.

2nd Feb 2013, 20:52

Just remember that when it comes to American big-block V8 engines, older is usually better than the new ones. Try to look for an older, higher compression version. A high compression 350 can produce stats that are comparable to the Vortec 454 believe it or not, though it would require premium fuel.

Remember that the Vortec 454 is somewhat gutless for its size due to our country's emission laws. It could be a solid engine if it wasn't weighed down with all that emission equipment and its reduced compression ratios.

3rd Feb 2013, 22:09

It's really cool to have a big block though. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

4th Feb 2013, 22:42

It really is cool to own a big-block V8 engine. However, with gas prices hitting $4 a gallon and there being smaller, more efficient, and equally powerful replacements on the market, I'd say that the Vortec 454 is a waste.

If you absolutely feel the need to own a Chevy big block, look into a late-1960s/very early-1970s version with a high compression ratio. You'll get more power than any modern big block, and it won't be weighed down by all that emissions equipment either. Of course, you'll have to use premium fuel, which is considerably more expensive than regular. Just remember that older usually equals better when dealing with big-blocks.

5th Feb 2013, 13:35

There's a big difference between a truck 454 and a car 454. In fact a big difference between a car LS5 and a LS6 in a 1970 especially. A vehicle like this though is more about towing. I am sure you could put a 383 Stroker in one pushing your small blocks. Not ideal though. The last thing anyone looks at in large SUVs is gas consumption and gas prices. If that was such a big deal, they would be driving a 4 cylinder minivan after pulling the 6 out.

6th Feb 2013, 06:54

All my new cars also run on Premium 93 Octane. Even my former Acura sedan took it, and the MPG was not all that great with a 3.2 VTEC 6.

6th Feb 2013, 09:47

It depends on the vehicle from which your engine was pulled. If you come across a late-1960s/ early-1970s 402 that happened to come out of an old pre-1972 Chevrolet C/K truck, then this engine will probably do you better than any Vortec 454.

Don't get me wrong, the Vortec big-blocks are good engines; they're just not as good as they could have been in terms of power.

18th Mar 2013, 22:37

Even if they may not match the power of the older ones, I for one am bummed that you can't get a gasoline big-block V8 new anymore. Diesel is so expensive nowadays and smelly. Even though they were really bad with fuel economy, I think the big-blocks met their demise too soon. With the more advanced technology of today, you could probably make it better on gas though.

10th Jun 2013, 14:39

I have an 8.1L Suburban, and I can outrun a C5 Corvette up to about 35mph. Why not get the 7.4? Makes an already great truck even better!

11th Jun 2013, 11:43

What is great is a new black Suburban, and being on the waiting list for the 2014 Corvette as well.

Add another comment