1998 Chevrolet Tracker LS 1.6 liter from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle I have ever owned!!

Not one thing. Best car I have ever owned!!

General Comments:

Built like a Popemobile. 12 years old and even the driver's side seat looks brand new. 100,000 miles!! Drives great. 30 mpg on highway.

Review Date: 10th July, 2010

10th Jul 2010, 17:46

How can you determine that it's the best car you've ever owned when you've only owned it for 3000 miles?

29th Aug 2014, 20:21

Having been the owner of multiple vehicles already, some of which were driven multiple thousands of miles all over the country (from West to East coast and everywhere in-between), and also being a hobby mechanic, I have found that it takes no more that a couple of thousand miles to determine the quality of a vehicle.

My 1996 Toyota Avalon XLS was a lemon after just 2,000 miles.

My 2000 Celica GT is a beauty to this day.

My 1967 Ford F-250 was predictable after the first 1000 miles, and has remained faithful to that prediction to this day.

My 1999 VW Cabrio GL has been immaculate and true to prediction after just 3,500 miles.

It is not unreasonable to assume that this vehicle would be predictable after just 3,000 miles. I now have a 1998 Chevrolet Tracker that should run just fine if it continues the way it has.

1998 Chevrolet Tracker 4x4 Soft top 1.6 liter from North America

Summary:

Awesome overall - great in the winter, and a blast in the summer

Equalizer valve for brakes just changed, clutch & front drive shaft last year.

General Comments:

Absolutely a blast to drive with the top down. The top design is awesome and easy to operate, unlike the Jeep YJ that I had previously.

It gets great gas mileage as well.

Also love the real 4 X 4 setup as compared to the all wheel drives of today.

I used my soft top in the winter, and the heater is more than adequate.

The only problem that I can see is that they are prone to rust.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2010

1998 Chevrolet Tracker 1.6 gasoline from North America

Summary:

I love this vehicle... why don't they still make them?

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is a fun car to drive... much like a poor man's sports car. Excellent fuel economy and a stiff, but enjoyable, ride. Can be towed behind a motor home easily (light weight and 4x4 w/neutral position).

Review Date: 27th August, 2009

18th Oct 2009, 21:00

I'm not sure why they don't. I don't own one, but I always wanted to.

19th May 2010, 04:42

I agree as well. I have owned a Suzuki Samurai and these vehicles are amazing. I would definitely pay 15 grand for a brand new one. If not more.

1998 Chevrolet Tracker Base 4 Door 1.6L from North America

Summary:

A fun ride

There must be some carbon deposits in the EGR, because the check engine light comes on and I get an EGR code from my reader.

A few odd squeaks when it rains.

Some kind of weird noise during tight turns. Probably needs a new muffler bushing.

So far I only see about 20 bucks in repairs to make this an almost new car. It's only got 80,000 miles on it and I'm looking to keep it for a long while.

General Comments:

I really dig this wee beasty. Everyone at work gives the good remarks, and a few people had previously owned one or knew someone who did, and they loved it too.

I mainly got this as a to and from work mobile and... it's a lot of fun to drive. I take the roundabouts way home all the time now.

I used to have an Altima and will hold that car in the highest of regards, but I have kinda taken a liking to this new ride.

Review Date: 4th June, 2009

1998 Chevrolet Tracker 2 dr 4 X 4 1.6 16v 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

A reliable, fun, small,4 X 4 truck that I would not hesitate to take anywhere.

Auto hub on driver side went out was replaced under warranty.

Radio didn't work when purchased, repaired by dealer.

Battery died, replaced under warranty.

Clips that hold bar rear window attaches to replaced by dealer 2 X under warranty. After warranty fabricated metal replacements no breakage since.

Brakes redone at 50,000 miles.

Seat belt latch on passenger side broke at about 5,000 miles replaced under warranty.

Top replaced at 55,000 miles due to rear window being stolen and couldn't buy just a replacement rear window. Was not covered by insurance, but entire new top from Bestop less than $300.00.

Timing belt replaced at 60,000 miles cost $45.00 for part.

New tires about 50,000 miles.

Other than routine maintenance nothing else has gone wrong or had to be fixed.

General Comments:

Vehicle has been very reliable. Most problems occurred when vehicle was new and were corrected under warranty.

The Tracker is just a re-badged Suzuki Sidekick, I liked the vehicle well enough that it influenced me to purchase a 2002 Suzuki XL7 which I also love.

The vehicle has very quick steering and you have to be careful about trying to corner or change lanes like a sports car, it is after all, a 4 X 4, with a high center of gravity. Once you make those adjustments it is very fun to drive.

I have joined an Arizona Suzuki 4 X 4 club and am going to begin to modify my tracker into a more serious off road vehicle. Suzuki's are as good or better than Heep's off road and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Review Date: 21st March, 2005

15th Nov 2009, 21:39

In 2005 I sold this vehicle to my son, who had his truck stolen. I liked it well enough to turn around and buy a 90 Tracker 2 door hardtop, which I have been fixing up and going off road with. He still has the Tracker and it now has more than 120,000 miles on it. He's had to replace the battery, starter and have the speedometer fixed along with a new speedo cable. Other than tires and brake pads and having the AC recharged, he's had no repairs, and it's still running strong.