1988 Chevrolet Truck C1500 Cheyenne from North America - Comments

17th Sep 2010, 10:27

I have 2 trucks of this gen; a 91 1/2 four wheel drive with a 4.3 V6 5 speed that was a plow truck and had well over 500,000 miles on it before retirement, and a 88 C2500 with the 4.3 and a automatic that currently has 240,000 miles, and is still going strong, despite burning a little oil (about a quart and a half every 3000 miles). The noise upon start up is normal for this style truck.

5th Nov 2010, 17:16

I just today purchased a 1988 C1500 with a 4.3 and an automatic tranny. I think it is a great looking truck. It is black with a matching tonneau cover. I paid 2500 for it on the man's word that it has a 40,000 mile old jasper engine and trans. It has a lifter tick, but someone else mentioned this also. The black windows and wide tires look great. I am looking forward to giving her a great home.

28th Dec 2010, 20:11

I have owned my 1988 Chevy 1500 for 22 years with no complaints until now. The dash parts are breaking and I can't find replacements. If anyone has any leads on these parts, please let me know.

1st Jan 2011, 01:28

I've had my '88 Cheyenne 305 for about 12 years now. The only non "wear & tear" issues were an alternator and a fuel pump a couple months ago.

While driving to the emissions station for registration, the oil pressure started decreasing and the "idiot" light illuminated.

The indicated pressure increased with RPM's, but still low (less than 1/4 on those cheesy gauges)

Just wondering if it could be anything other than a bad pump. Any suggestions?

13th Apr 2011, 20:02

Last month I bought a Silverado 1989 and I dream to have it repainted just like the Cheyenne I had in 1988, so I understand your thinking about the Chevy truck.

28th Jun 2011, 20:30

I bought a Silverado '89 last month, and I dream to have it painted like the Cheyenne I had in 1988.

5th Sep 2011, 19:29

Just bought my 4x4 88 Chevy automatic with the 5.0L 305 last week for $1200, and I love this truck. Haven't really slept since I bought it.

It has 122,000 original miles on it, and the A/C blows cold air! Paint is chipped a little, no rust, and the vinyl bench seat is tore up on the driver's side, but that's to be expected on a truck this old.

Dash is still in good shape, and the 305 motor burns about a quart of oil every couple of months, or that's what the guy told me anyway.

Does smoke a little, more so when it's been idling for a while.

Not great from 30-40 mph (a little sluggish), but great when taking off and after 40mph. No shaking or vibrating, and hesitates a little when turning it on.

I think with maybe a new timing chain and a little tune up, this thing will run like a champ, and maybe even be around for my son to take to school in 12 or 13 years.

Love my little Chevy!! Love it.

8th Feb 2012, 12:56

I have a 88 Chevy Cheyenne C1500. I got a rebuilt 305 with cam and headers, and a 650 Holley. I bought the truck for $500, and I rebuilt it from the ground up. It got new gears, new front end parts, and aftermarket rims.

12th Mar 2012, 19:28

Hello, get a 20' foot chain; works good for pulling people out. I have a 1988 Chevy Cheyenne 2 wheel drive.

17th Aug 2012, 07:52

I just recently bought an 88 C1500 5.0 8 cylinder. And up till two nights ago, I thought of it as my Cadillac, because it rides so smooth, and shifts so flawlessly (it's an automatic). But 2 nights ago, I was dicing down the road, and the entire truck just randomly shut off. It's not the battery, or the alternator; I had those checked yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? At first it felt like the transmission was slipping, but then when I gave it some gas, everything just shut off. The lights and such still work, thank God, because I was going down the highway at night when it happened. But the engine and transmission just shut off, and won't start back up. I have a strong turnover when I turn the key, but it doesn't turn on. Nothing is firing. Any ideas?

Thanks. If you've got any ideas, send me an email please? My email is, purpl3 pow3r at gmail.com. (no spaces of course, and yeah the 3s are in place of es)

23rd Sep 2012, 15:40

Sounds like the coil went out. They never give any warning; they just go.

11th Oct 2013, 10:27

Check out LMC Truck. www.lmctruck.com. Lots of parts available. Also Rock Auto may have OEM parts. I'll warn you though, with new replacement dash parts come sticker shock! Good luck.

16th Oct 2013, 07:12

Hello. I just bought a 1988 C1500 Cheyenne with the 5 speed. It has 136,000 miles on it. Looks great for its age. And it also has the 350 in it. I only paid $800 for it. Solid truck. And it came with a matching cap for the bed. I have driven sticks before, but never owned one. Any suggestions on maintenance besides the usual oil change? Planning on doing a tune up first thing.

28th Dec 2013, 17:42

That's the first 5 speed turbo 400 I've ever heard of!

25th Jun 2014, 00:27

Change the oil sender unit.

Add another comment