1983 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 5.2 V8 from North America

Summary:

A beast of a luxury sedan

Nothing!

General Comments:

Bought the car for $200.

It was already inspected, paint and body were mint.

Interior was fair. Most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

It had plenty of power, decent acceleration.

Smoothest ride I've ever had, felt like you were floating.

All the luxuries, electric everything.

Sold it to the scrap yard for $400 two years later. I didn't put a penny into it, the thing ran excellent up until the day they crushed it.

I regret selling it.

Review Date: 29th January, 2014

30th Jan 2014, 15:02

What a shame.

30th Jan 2014, 17:27

What a review.

I believe every word of it.

30th Jan 2014, 22:27

Only paid $200??

1983 Chrysler Fifth Avenue aka New Yorker 5.2L 318 V8 from North America

Summary:

Only Chrysler I would buy again

The power windows are all a bit flaky, and the driver's side one doesn't move at all. The front seats are weathered and cracked (assumed due to rain, etc coupled with the window that doesn't roll up), standard wearable parts (air filter, fuel filter, tires, belts, battery, etc) carburetor needs rebuilding and a transmission service is long past overdue. It passed California emissions tests at a high idle (930 rpm), the idle test is setup for 600 rpm. The timing was also 9 degrees BDC rather than the regulation 16. Liked to stall A lot before putting in a new fuel filter, air filter, and high idle adjustment.

General Comments:

I picked this car up for $500 and spent an additional $300 for general engine repairs. It passed the smog with flying colors (it's emissions are all FAR below the average specs!)

This car accelerates like a tugboat at slow speeds, but after about 45-55 it can really take off! I can't determine max speed as my speedometer only goes to 85.

Gets great highway gas mileage (35 mpg @ 65, 25 mpg @ 80mph) for a heavy luxury car, city gas mileage is horrible (10-12 mpg). Environmentally sound car (I've seen Subaru's pollute more on smog tests).

The handling can be tricky if you're not used to a car practically steering for you. My model included active power steering and suspension (special order, standard?). I can literally drive this car with one finger.

Bad side to the active stuff: if you jog the wheel one way and whip it the other, the active suspension assumes that I'm turning the OTHER way, and leans the car hard in the wrong direction!

I've put a lot of miles on this car as a daily driver. It has been very reliable after the initial repairs, even with an inevitable carburetor rebuild and transmission service. A great daily driver and very comfortable interior.

Review Date: 16th November, 2002

12th Feb 2006, 17:49

I have a Chrysler Fifth Avenue. It runs good. It is a 1983 V8 318 engine. It had been sitting on my uncle's property for about 5 years. I worked on it in 2005. My aunt gave it to me because she couldn't get anybody to fix it. The only promblem I have is the power windows don't work and I have a manifold gaket leak, and that's about it.