1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 318 C.I. from North America

Summary:

Great sturdy reliable automobile

Stabilizer bar end bolt missing replaced.

Reman spark control computer.

Air charge temperature sensor.

For a car that's 28 years old, it's expected to see those things.

General Comments:

I wanted a RWD vehicle. The vehicle of choice was the Fifth Avenue. I didn't care about gas prices.

It's a luxury classy automobile. The Corinthian leather is very comfortable. Handling is amazing on corners for a car of that weight.

Sure it needs work, but nothing major.

I enjoy taking her to car shows, especially when leaving at dusk with the LED opera lamps.

Very pleased with my car. I'll hold her as long as I can and restore the car in the process.

Review Date: 24th May, 2016

1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 5.2L V8 318 from North America

Summary:

Comfortable, not economic unless you drive it easy, but damn good looking

Nothing major has gone wrong. Just parts that need replaced with age is all I have touched. Tires, ball joints, and oil changes. It's been very reliable and starts every time.

General Comments:

Fantastically comfortable and fun to drive.

Review Date: 16th February, 2016

2nd Mar 2016, 20:46

Yes they looked good all round. Inside the dash was nicely styled with a more classy look than Ford or GM could ever accomplish, and the quad lamps with the big grille looked good too along with the opera lamps and not forgetting the Torqueflite whine, which was music to many a man's ears, and most definitely a great hefty V8 powering her.

One thing I liked about mine was the excellent view out the windshield, unlike the tunnel vision of today's forgettables.

1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue V8 from North America

Summary:

This is the real deal!!!

Had to change fuel pump and battery.

Paint is coming off the rear panel.

General Comments:

I am 61 years old had about 25 cars in my lifetime, and this is the best; no others come even close.

This car is 21 years old and no rust.

To this date 08/23/09, it's running like a charm.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2009

1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 318 from North America

Summary:

Looks nice, runs pretty bad, but to nice to give up on

The engine makes strange sounds all the time.

The transmission seems to struggle to get past 26 mph.

The hood is blistered.

General Comments:

I really like my car, however it uses oil.

The transmission is going although I try to hang on to hope.

The engine sound like a washing machine a lot.

Smooth riding on the highway.

Looks real nice, black and majestic.

Review Date: 15th October, 2004

3rd Feb 2005, 11:14

I have a 88 5th Ave. It struggles past 26 mph because it needs a tune up, and the computer needs to be fixed. Same thing happened to me, now it runs great. Mine has 132 k on it and it runs like new. Last 318 put in a car, great engine.

30th Apr 2005, 20:12

Sounds like your car is a lot like mine. all the same problems. Except I have one more!!! Please if you would be able to help.. My fifth ave. wanted to kill me the other day. The gas pedal actually doesn't pop right back, and I feel it pop me in the foot after I take my foot off. it kept going faster and faster even with my foot off. nothing helped ended up putting on the brake as best I could. No one seems to know what to do??? snowflakes_7@hotmail.com Thanks, Nan.

21st Jul 2008, 15:51

Try changing your transmission fluid and the filter. That should help it out a lot. It's pretty cheap; you can get the filter and fluid at any parts store.

3rd May 2014, 06:33

If you are having problems that you could have fixed and haven't, and are complaining about the car, you shouldn't be writing a review.

20th May 2015, 18:18

Sounds like you need to clean your carb and check all your links.

1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue from North America

Summary:

Great luxury car!

Fuel pump went bad.

Carburetor is starting to fail.

Antenna gets stuck and will not go up sometimes.

Pick up is not the greatest.

Car began stalling and dying out at around 91,000 miles.

Air conditioning is broken.

Paint is rusted out and peeling.

General Comments:

Not the greatest acceleration wise, but all in all the car has been good to me.

It runs very good and has a really smooth ride!

The leather interior is one of the most comfortable I have ever driven in.

Despite the looks of the outside of my rusty car, it has been a great first car for me. It has an extremely smooth ride. Sometimes my foot gets carried away on the gas pedal because you don't realize how fast you're going.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2004

10th Jun 2006, 20:16

I had an '87 'Fifth with the leather interior too, I was forced to part with it about 4 weeks ago and miss the couch like seats and a higher grade of leather then you'll find in any car made today! RIP 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue 7/87-5/06

Deeply Missed.