1990 Chrysler LeBaron Reviews

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired195000 kilometres
Most recent distance199000 kilometres

Summary:

Great Sunday Cruiser

Alternator, tires, shocks and battery had to be replaced when I got the car.

So far, nothing else has gone wrong.

General Comments:

I got this car as a gift from my grandpa, it was originally a Texas car where it stayed there from 1990-2006. When my grandpa sold his house in Texas, he moved it to Manitoba where it sat in storage for over 3 years. My Grandpa then gave it to me, because he couldn't keep it in the storage unit it was in any longer.

This is by far the most luxurious car I have ever owned. It's the Premium model, which was the highest model you could get in the '90s. It does have the leather delete though...

This car has the 3.0 V6, which puts out about 160HP and 140 lbs-ft of torque. This was fairly powerful by '90s standards. The car does use the power well though, and can beat most cars off the line with ease. The best part is it gets fantastic gas mileage, I average about 32MPG when I drive it. The car is also still fairly sporty even today, and has as much options as today's 'fully loaded' cars minus the back up cams and built in nav. The interior also feels sporty, yet classy. It's also nice to drop the top down on those hot days.

Surprisingly enough, the car still gets lots of looks even though the car is 19 years old. The LeBaron mostly gets used on hot summer days and on Sunday cruises, other than that, this beauty is in the garage or getting waxed! If you want something sporty, yet classy enough to pull up to fancy places, this car is for you!

Review Date: 24th March, 2010

1990 Chrysler LeBaron 4dr Coupe 3.0 from North America

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1990

Summary:

Would never buy again

Torque converter shuttered when I got it.

The valves ticked and tapped a lot, not just when started cold.

The floor pans were completely rotted out and frame had significant rotting.

Inner fender-wells were rotted and the front tires flung water into floor pan area.

When I hit a moderate size puddle going 45MPH, the car completely stopped running. The ignition is easily exposed to moisture causing it to fail and the car to die, only to restart in 5 minutes or longer.

Water leaks in trunk, windshield and windows.

One day on the way to work the torque converter failed while cruising at 45mph. Not worth fixing. Paid $1200, then 6 months later scrapped it for $200.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR, I almost lost my job due to this junk.

General Comments:

Seats were very comfy and it had a cup holder!!!

Review Date: 18th August, 2008

1st Jul 2011, 01:05

If you only paid 1200 for this car, why are you complaining?

You should be lucky it lasted as long as it did for that price. Honestly!

1st Jul 2011, 08:23

Hmm, did you even look at the car before you bought it? I know you didn't test drive it.

1990 Chrysler LeBaron 3.0 liter V6 from North America

First year of ownership1991
Engine and transmission 3.0 liter V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Smart buy and reliable

I've only replaced the starter, rebuilt the transmission, new radiator and got a new top. That's it!! AFTER 16 YEARS!!! Plus things like tires and brakes of course.

The paint is still shiny, but its starting to flake is some spots (outside parking).

One of the quarter windows doesn't move so that needs to be fixed.

Since 1991 the car has only let me down twice; stranded in a parking lot when the starter went out (1996) and stalled when going through deep water -stupid move.

General Comments:

Yikes! So many negative reviews.

I bought my 1990 LeBaron convertible in 1991 and its still going strong. The 3.0 liter V6 is silky smooth and acceleration is great. The ride is also smooth.

The interior is somewhat plasticy, but the design is A1 (for that period). The buttons for lights and wipers on the gauge hood are very stylish.

If you take car of a car it will last a long time. (You must wash and wax regularly) and maintain the engine (regular oil change).

Now the car had been sitting for 5 months (I got a new car) so I put in a new battery and it started right up, no problem at all.

My years with my Chrysler has been excellent. I can tell you now I've put more money into my new car (1999 foreign model) in three years than all of my Chrysler years.

Oh yes, its time for new shocks.

Review Date: 25th November, 2006

31st Dec 2006, 22:44

If you have the guts, and the know-how to maintain, a vintage Chrysler with a 3.0 will take you many miles. They can be had cheaply, look for those owned by adults rather than teens, and are easy to fix if you have patience.

Remember though, these cars are well into their second decade on the highway, a feat not welcomed by any manufacturer. So your best bet after purchasing one is to make friends with your closest pick & pull wrecking yard. Stock up on things and store them away. You'll find brakes and pipes easy enough, but you'll never find an on the dash turn signal switch at any parts store, dealer or otherwise.