1998 Chrysler Neon GLX 1st gen 2.0L from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Total outlay of vehicle and upkeep of £18000 for 18 years. Show me another vehicle to match that?

Nothing. Never broken down. Never not started. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. No rust anywhere.

If general maintenance is good then it will stand by you.

The only item that ever requiring replaced, other than general wear due to mileage, was an air con condenser leak, probably due to stone damage.

Have changed the front engine mount twice in that time, but considering the mileage and cost of the item (£30), it's nothing.

For years people knocked this vehicle. Friends' cars have been long gone, broken down, traded in or crushed, yet the Neon motors on. None of them can believe its condition. The car used to only get a wash each MOT, now more often if I'm honest.

Leather seats have bit of wear on the driver's side and slight sag due to mileage.

General Comments:

Fantastic vehicle 2nd I've owned. Build quality OK, components superb.

Downside is the interior has too much plastic, but that's made up for with leather seating and high vehicle spec. equipment as standard GLX (UK model). Many items only now becoming standard equipment on current vehicles and at time of purchase not even optional extra with many other manufactures. Bought a one new when Chrysler came to the UK and it did have a few issues. Head gaskets made of cork that would fail, but changed under warranty for multi layer steel type, and it would eat track rod ends, but these were changed to a cast iron type that fixed the issue. Traded the car in for my second and current model a couple of years later. It's now 18 years old.

Almost 200,000 miles and still the same clutch. Brake discs all round changed at 150,000 miles as at the bottom limits for thickness. Changed brake flexible hoses at same time due to ease of access (preventative maintenance).

Two track control arms and two track rod ends and that's it. Other than general wear maintenance components, tyres, brake pads, oils and filters.

In 18 years ownership, I would guess all in with failed/general wear and services items, this vehicle has cost me £1400 pounds; that's £80 pounds a year. You'd pay that just for high end engine oil and filter for one service these days.

I also own a Mercedes S class and it would be unfair to compare the two as few vehicles could touch the Merc, but it has had many costly issues, and tyres alone just cost me a £1000. That's why it's a weekend driver and my Neon is my daily.

Review Date: 9th July, 2016

1998 Chrysler Neon Base 2.0L from Venezuela

Summary:

Good car considering the price tag

Replacement of head gasket just last year due to overheating. Milling off the head required.

Paint on roof completely peeled off (this is a very sunny country all year round).

Noise in the front and rear suspension. Not a surprise considering the bad condition of the roads.

A/C unit must be repaired every 2 to 3 years (replacement of evaporator).

Water leaking into the cabin somewhere around the dashboard and trunk.

General Comments:

A very good car considering the price tag. Mine is a manual, base model, yes the one with the AM radio (very strange!). I bought this car brand new and no major bug ever happened to it. All repairs done are due to normal wear, except for the evaporator that constantly failed. I cannot understand how a fairly good car has such a cheap evaporator. I also own a Corolla 1999, and similar problems have occurred to it, except for the A/C that works like a charm.

I am still trying to fix the water leaks, which is presently my major concern.

Review Date: 26th December, 2010

1998 Chrysler Neon SE 2L OHC Four from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

I will not be buying another American car. Terrible experience!

Power steering system ruptured at 53,000km, causing a total loss of fluid. Made an enormous mess of the engine bay.

Fixed under warranty.

Head gasket blew at 60,000 approx. Out of warranty. Cost AU$1200.

Both front wheel bearings fell apart. Cost a massive $500 to replace.

Fuel pump stopped at just over 62,000km. Replaced it myself, but the part cost me $400!!

Transmission leaked badly. Fixed 4 times in 3 months. Constant shuddering in reverse.

Speedometer failed at 68,900km. Never got it fixed - 'no parts'. Had to guess my speed all the time!

Horn button got stuck.

90,000Km:

Radiator fan stopped, overheating the engine again! This time, $1500 to do the gasket and flush the radiator.

Finally, driver's seat belt came undone while driving.

Got worse and worse, until it wouldn't buckle at all!

General Comments:

When I bought my Neon, it was 3 years old, with 2 months still left on the New Car Warranty. I chose a Neon, because my young family and I were amazed at the roomy interior. My wife loved the cute looks of it, and I had grown up with American cars, so I wanted a Chrysler of my own.

Needless to say, it was a big mistake!

The car was okay until the warranty ran out. Then it just started falling apart. Looking through my receipts, I have spent over AU$4900 just keeping the stupid thing on the road!

The interior was the best part! Plastics could be of a higher quality, but it's airy, well designed, and parking visibility is excellent! Luggage boot is massive for a little car and the air con is very cold.

The horrid vehicle now sits on my lawn, with weeds growing under it. I now have an ex-lease Camry Altise, and I plan to dismantle the Neon and sell the parts.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Review Date: 26th November, 2007

29th Apr 2011, 12:59

Never heard of such outrageous repairs on any Neon ever.

30th Apr 2011, 17:09

Thankfully this experience with the Neon (or Chrysler in general) is not that common. I advise many people on purchasing cars, and in 2001, based on nearly a quarter-million trouble-free miles on my own Dodge, I recommended a Neon to a handicapped friend who absolutely has to have a reliable car. To date he has well over 100,000 miles with absolutely zero problems. He has not even had the timing belt replaced yet, which should have been done at 60,000-70,000 miles.