1994 Citroen AX Dimension 1.5 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Badly made, slow, unsafe, bad handling, and loud noises coming from everywhere

Clutch release bearing went.

Front suspension mounts rusted thru like they were sheet metal.

Car was running on 3 cylinders a lot of the time.

Noisy engine.

Some dash lights were not working, and the dash made big noises.

General Comments:

Not a very good car. Badly made, slow, unsafe, bad handling and loud noises coming from everywhere.

One thing is it's comfy and cheap to insure, and that's it!

I recommend you look over it properly before you buy.

It's not far off 2CV territory to be honest.

Review Date: 21st December, 2010

23rd Dec 2010, 05:04

Buy a Rolls next time... new of course. AX was one of the cheapest Citroën cars (production was stopped some 15 years ago to be replaced by the Saxo, a vehicle that isn't in production anymore either). It has 16 years and 154000 miles (~250000 km) and some of of the dashboard lights do not work anymore... and the engine is noisy... my oh my. To explain the other faults you mentioned, one has to be able to follow the servicing of the car for the last 16 years, which you cannot provide.

21st Jan 2011, 15:15

You bought a dud car. It happens, especially at the bottom end of the market. My AX cost me £150 two years and 35,000 miles ago. It has now done 158,000 miles from new. It just passed its MoT today after I spent an hour fixing a few minor defects. It shows every sign of going on forever. I love it.

1994 Citroen AX 1.5 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

One of the best Ctroens ever

Not a single thing ever went wrong with the car. Its engine was as solid as possible, and amazingly economical. The car had similar cabin space to that of the Bluebirds, however my Bluebird was a petrol, so the economy made up for anything it lacked in size.

General Comments:

The cars handling was amazing, despite the diesel engine.

Economy was astounding, when the tank was full the car seemed to go on forever.

I loved it to bits.

Unfortunately I was forced to sell it when it was hit from behind. I actually drove the car like normal for over 5 days after the accident, despite the entire chassis being bent. The car still handled well.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2009

1994 Citroen AX 5d VSX 1.5D from Portugal

Summary:

If you don't like running cost of a car go for it!

Head gasket had to be replaced at 200000km because of a oil drop.

Right transmition show signs of failure when I turn.

Dashboard lamps had gone several times.

General Comments:

Very reliable car.

The running cost is almost zero! Parts are cheap and easy to find. On average 4 to 4,5 liters to run 100km. The engine is very noisy, but it had power to this type of car.

Review Date: 8th January, 2008

1994 Citroen AX Salsa 1.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very good for a town car; 100% recommend!

Boot lock broke - my fault.

CV boot leaking at 33k.

Dash lights dim.

Heater knob broke ay 33k.

General Comments:

Bought off an old lady; only 28k from new!

Travel 300-600 miles a week. It never lets me down!

A bit cramped inside, but does the job.

Noisy when drove over 60mph.

Heaters are very good.

Very nippy for a 1.0.

Insurance very cheap.

Highly recommended for someone with a tight budget, or a learner, or as a second car.

I would buy another one of these cars. I would like a GT or GTI next, as they're rapid!

Anything brakes, and you can just go down your local breakers!

Review Date: 15th June, 2007

1994 Citroen AX first impresion 1.1i from Netherlands

Summary:

Fun affordable and cheap

Nothing. The only thing that's gone a bit pear shaped is a rattle in the front of the car. This was attributed to a broken drive shaft which was replaced before I got the car. The ratle persists, but the car is still runing strong.

The only real thing that has broken is the knob for controlling the fan speed.

General Comments:

I love the AX it is a great first car. You can comfortably carry 4 people and some luggage. The engine is willing and sips petrol. I get 14km to the liter and I drive like I'm in a rally, so with some calmer driving much better mileage should be possible. The siting position is fine for me, but I'm pretty short at 1.75m. The only things I don't like about my car are the wheels and tires and the 3 stud fitments. The car is very nippy around corners and it handles pretty safely even at the limit. As far as fun to price ratios go this car is great.

Review Date: 26th April, 2006