1998 Citroen Xsara Reviews

1998 Citroen Xsara X 1.4i from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 1.4i Manual

Summary:

Reliable, great to drive, great car all round! :)

Three weeks after I got the car, the cat blew, though having bought the car for just £500, we expected a few repairs to be done in the near future so it wasn't a massive issue. Local garage fixed this for me and serviced the car together for about £150.

The stop light, oil pressure, coolant temperature and hydraulic warning lights come on after using the car for about 15 minutes, though this seems to be a loose electrical connection, which I'm not worried about.

Rear suspension knocks and squeaks, but again this was happening when I got the car, I'm keeping an eye on it, but it's no great inconvenience at present.

Clutch was quite stiff when I first got it, but this eased up with daily use (last owner didn't use it often).

Also keeping an eye on the coolant level, as in three weeks it seems to have dropped more than it should.

General Comments:

This is actually my first car, and so far I'm very impressed with it! Had it for just over three months, bought it at a bargain price, so despite those little problems listed above (most really age/mileage related), it's been a good buy.

Engine runs absolutely fine, though the exhaust sounds just a bit tinny which is something I'll monitor, but I would have expected the few problems I've had with it from most older/higher mileage cars.

Reliable runner, never had any problems getting it going. It is early days yet I suppose, but I can see my Xsara having a fair bit of life in it yet ;)

Generally very comfortable to drive - frequent long journeys tested this one for me! Going up steepish hills can be a bit slow-going, as the engine is quite small for the size/weight of the car, a 1.8 would be more suited to this kind of use, but I'm managing well!

Very well sized to seat four adults with decent leg room, good sized boot.

Wouldn't mind replacing the cassette player with a new CD player, but I'd need an extra cable to the steering wheel controls for them to work (love that feature! :D)

I'm getting about 35mpg on average, including a fair bit of peak-time commuting into a city centre every day, so fuel-wise it's not doing too badly at all for its age. Insurance group 6, which actually turned out reasonably expensive for a 22-year-old with no NCD, but for most people it would be cheap to insure.

Handles very well, power assisted steering is lovely, car feels solid and sturdy, interior still looks good... It's a pleasure to drive, overall I'm very happy with my Xsara!

Review Date: 16th June, 2009

1998 Citroen Xsara SX 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year1998
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Manual
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carFiat Punto

Summary:

Not knowing its history is a worry, which is a problem buying 2nd hand cars, doesn't feel safe

Bought this car as I know someone who's making bio diesel and thought it would save me money.

I had a light flash up on my way into work this morning, just telling me to STOP, then it went off as quickly as it came on, anyone any ideas what it means?

There is an awful clunk at the rear end, which seems to happen when brakes are applied sharply or I go over a speed bump, and that's done slowly! Nothing appears loose, but we can't find the problem.

General Comments:

Not as much view as I'm used to with my previous car, I tend to have to kind of stand up when I'm reversing due to the slanting and height of the rear screen.

Review Date: 12th December, 2008

17th Aug 2009, 15:13

Great car. My Citroen Xsara 1.9TD 98 beat an Audi A4 1.9TDi on the motorway.

1998 Citroen Xsara SX 1.6 liter from UK and Ireland

Model year1998
Engine and transmission 1.6 liter Manual
Previous carMazda 323

Summary:

I like it

Power steering pump failed.

Creaking rear suspension.

Oil consumption.

Leaking drive-shaft.

General Comments:

Overall, pretty reliable. I got the car at 85,000 miles; now on 110,000 miles and still going.

I had a creaking suspension, but it's now cured; turned out to be the exhaust shield had broken away and was rubbing on exhaust. Quiet as a lamb now.

Performance is very good, no complaints. I have the 1.6 8 valve, but it is starting to use more oil. I think it's due to the mileage.

Interior has lasted well; no damage, even with 2 children, and the seats are comfortable.

It starts every morning, so I can't complain.

Review Date: 17th March, 2008