2003 Daewoo Matiz SE 0.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Reliable and economic

Electric window, driver's side, now fixed.

General Comments:

This is my first Matiz. I have only had Nissan Micras before.

I love this car. It's reliable and economical, although the tax band is higher than I expected; that is due to the government's new rulings about emissions!

I find the Matiz comfortable and a lot more roomy than I thought it would be for a small car.

It's easy to park, taking a bit less room than a Micra.

I never thought I would ever change from the Nissan Micras, but I love, love this little car!

Review Date: 23rd September, 2013

24th Sep 2013, 20:02

Wow, you're calling it reliable after a whopping 4000 miles you have done in it. Do yourself a favour and look at the other reviews of this car... or just keep your car for another 60000 miles and then see if you think it is reliable.

2003 Daewoo Matiz 0.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Woof

Immobilizer failed, requiring car to be towed to an auto electrician so it could be disconnected.

Grommet around radio antenna failed, allowing rainwater to enter the roof space where it destroyed the interior light switch.

Flimsy driver's seat adjuster cable broke preventing fore - aft seat movement.

Windscreen wiper linkage broke.

Speedometer began oscillating wildly while emitting a banshee like howl.

General Comments:

Crap brakes and suspension, and a high centre of gravity make for very poor road holding. A very unpleasant car to drive.

Tiny engine provides just enough power for level roads and fair weather. Operating the air conditioner, climbing hills, carrying a passenger or even driving into a stiff headwind seriously reduces performance.

The car is cheap to run, but not as cheap as you would expect with such a small engine. It's only slightly better than our new Mazda 2, which has an engine almost twice as big.

Load carrying capacity is good for such a small vehicle.

While we have not had any really major mechanical problems (yet), the overall build quality of this car is so bad I feel sure it's only a matter of time before something goes seriously wrong with it. We have had it serviced and maintained regularly by the dealer, who has done his best, but the endless minor problems have left me decidedly underwhelmed, especially since the car has only done 81,000 km. The car is currently for sale, and I'll be glad to see the back of it.

Review Date: 1st November, 2009

1st Nov 2009, 06:45

The only thing I can say is that my Daewoo Matiz is the best car I have ever owned, & she will be my first car always. Never regret my choice.

2003 Daewoo Matiz SE .8 petrol from Thailand

Summary:

Very disappointed

Engine vibrates strongly, take the car to service dealer, they said something is wrong with the spark plug, only six months from date of purchase.

Engine oil drain plug gasket leaking after to times change oil, need to add teflon tape!!!

Oil of suspension leaking, after 1 year in use. Not yet fixed.

Suspension working very bad, car jumped up and lost control on the bad road.

Car body very thin, easy to deform.

Steering wheel very heavy compare to the size of small car.

General Comments:

Only good looking for women.

Very bad overall quality, like a cartoon car.

Happy with replacement: Toyota Vios

Review Date: 5th December, 2005

18th May 2008, 12:25

Daewoos are really like that poor quality with poor support from the manufacturer.

9th Aug 2009, 09:59

All those who think that Daewoo cars are poorly made, well you need to change your views regarding Daewoo cars. Well I have a couple of friends who own Daewoo cars; all my friends are really happy with their Daewoos.

I personally own a Daewoo Matiz (first owner). It's been 9 years and my Daewoo hasn't betrayed me ever. It always starts in one blow. Well daewoo was the best company I've ever come across.

20th Jan 2011, 21:50

The heavy steering is actually not a problem, it's the manufacturer's settings for better stability and feel at high speed, but the consequence is when you park it because the steer is heavy. You can set the steer mass though, make it lighter if you want to. So it doesn't have anything to do with the size.