2003 Daewoo Matiz Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2003 Daewoo Matiz SE 796cc petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 796cc petrol Manual
Previous carMazda 323

Summary:

Well equipped and capable at a great price!

None.

General Comments:

Having nothing better to do one wet and miserable Hamilton afternoon, we test-drove a Matiz and were amazed by the way it performed "four-up", in awful conditions. The price (NZ$12995) was only what we were planning to spend on a used car for my wife and we placed an order on the spot.

Since delivery, the car has performed faultlessly and I actually prefer driving it, rather than my company 2.0 litre, when I get the chance!

Astonishingly roomy and comfortable for a tiny car: the impression of space is increased by the fact that the front seat occupants sit so far from the windscreen and by the elevated driving position. The boot is small, but will take a lot more than you think. External styling is also excellent and it even looks pleased to see you, as approach it from the front!

Compared with many small cars, the Matiz is very quiet and the good quality CD/radio has no trouble making itself heard over the engine, which (incidentally) has a pleasant, "sporty" note, under acceleration.

Although optimized for urban use (where it can hold its own with anything), this car is no slouch on the open road and we have completed 500km day trips, over variable North Island roads, with no fatigue and on the smell of an oily rag.

Front and rear lights are big, bold and very effective.

If pushed to make a criticism, I would say that it could use an intermittent wipe: not a lot, is it?

Review Date: 21st May, 2004

23rd Feb 2005, 10:30

Thank you for your appraisal of this little car, one of which I am about to buy.

I have read all kinds of reports from good too bad which I guess is the same with all makes & models, but yours told me the things I wanted to know i.e. what's it like with a load up, over distance etc. I am buying one because we have a motor home and want something small to tow on behind, sadly it means getting rid of my lovely stately Merc estate... boo hoo.

Thank you again.