2004 Daewoo Matiz E 0.8i from Romania

Summary:

Very reliable, cheap to buy and run, but with spartan interior and marginal safety

The upper rubber seal of the front right door ripped after a few months. Replaced under warranty, and again started to rupture after the warranty ended.

Spark plugs and cables replaced at around 30.000 km - not surprising considering the car is always driven on short distances, only 5-20 km daily.

After 5 years since being built, corrosion began to creep inside the lower side of the doors, on the rear wheel arches and in the boot; the car lacks suitable rust protection, and the metal is very thin, would puncture easily if rust is not dealt with soon.

General Comments:

Mechanically it works very well, extremely reliable, low fuel consumption. The engine always starts, even at the lowest temperatures, and it will take lower quality fuel without a hiccup.

The plastic inside is very rough and scratches easily, seats have mediocre ergonomics (but still better than a C1, Aygo and the likes). Inside it has a lot of headroom, even the tallest people can fit, and generally it has more room than other small cars.

In the city, the handling is brilliant. The small 3 piston engine revs, roars and accelerates like a much larger one. However if it's fully loaded, performance decreases dramatically. The car is good for 1-2 people plus a bag of groceries.

Outside the city, at high speeds (70-100 km/h) and in corners, the handling is poor, and the car doesn't have a lot of stability.

Being the economic model, it is "naked": no airbags, no ABS. The interior is spartan - no radio, no clock, nothing. But at 4400 euros when new, it was a bargain, and works very well in its role: in the city, with light loads.

Remarkably reliable, but the bodywork's poor corrosion treatment lets it down.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2011

15th Mar 2013, 03:35

Original poster here.

Looks like I got ahead of myself praising its reliability. Last year, at about 45,000 km, some electrical wire bundle got exposed due to constant rubbing against the engine, causing misfires and uneven engine running. Got it fixed with tape, as a new cable bundle cost was prohibitive.

A month ago, at 48,000 km, one of the fuel injectors failed and had to be replaced. The original one was made mainly from plastic, so couldn't be cleaned.

2004 Daewoo Matiz SE 0.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fantastic, reliable little car that thinks above its size

Driver's door power window switch failed, but don't most switches eventually?

General Comments:

Borrowed this car while mine was off the road and didn't want to hand it back, so I bought it!

Cabin room is fantastic. I am 6' tall, and once inside forget that I am driving a small car. Head and leg room are actually better than my previous (mid size) car.

I love its reliability on a morning, I KNOW it is going to start whatever the weather. At last, a car I can trust 100% to get me to work on time.

OK, the gear change can be notchy at times, but that is one of the car's little quirks and not a problem.

Performance is good. Nippy in traffic and no problem on the motorway. The engine actually buzzes in a very distinct and soothing way.

Handling is great and nipping through traffic a pleasure. The Matiz gets through gaps where others have to wait.

All in all a lovely, comfortable and reliable car with great fuel economy, good looks and great value for money.

Review Date: 16th January, 2009

4th Jan 2011, 15:48

Absolutely the Matiz the best car I ever owned too... Mind blowing on gas... I get around... 22 kmpl... My dad didn't took much care about it.. Earlier I remember.. The car used to give 26 to 27 kmpl... Great... I need to flush my engine or seafoam in order to get its peak performance...

Matiz rules!!!