1986 Dodge D50 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1986 Dodge D50 2.0 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Truck

Summary:

Next to Toyota and Nissan, the best small pickup you can buy

Center carrier bearing needed to be replaced.

Original carburetor needed to be replaced.

Replaced valve stem seals.

General Comments:

Dependable little pickup. Shop carefully for a good one though.

Watch for carburetor problems, (will cost you up to $400.00 to fix) the stock Mikuni is not very good and trouble prone. I replaced it with a Weber conversion after trying several rebuilt Mikuni's and the difference is like night and day. Starts great, with quite a bit of pep. 28 mpg on the highway/24 city.

I'm looking forward to owning this truck for a long time.

Review Date: 15th September, 2003

13th May 2009, 13:46

I am considering installing a Weber Carb. on my 87 ram 50, but don't know what to do about the computer controls. Any suggestions on how to install without computer interference? Thanks.

20th Jul 2011, 17:34

Hi there, on a 86 Ram 50 Custom 2.0, I just have one question. In California, will this Weber/carb pass smog? Ty.

30th Mar 2012, 12:03

Yes, the carb is being an issue, also the blinker switch, but all in all, I would not trade my Dodge truck for anything. Well except maybe another Dodge.

Grew up Dodge, & plan on staying Dodge...

1986 Dodge D50 Power Ram 2.5L from North America

First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 2.5L Manual

Summary:

Hard to kill, reliable truck

Emergency Brake line froze frequently. Stopped using it and left it in gear when stopped.

Shocks were worn out when I got it. Cheap to replace.

Head liner completely fell out. Had a hard time gluing it back on, and eventually just removed it entirely and left the red painted metal roof showing.

Cracked head, started leaking antifreeze into the engine.

Paint on the bed worn off due too bad job installing camper shell.

Distributor cap got water in it frequently.

General Comments:

This was my first car. I seriously abused the poor thing, but it kept on running. There was only 2 times when it wouldn't get me from point A to point B. (Distributor cap moisture, frozen emergency brake..)

I often waited 7000 miles between oil changes, once ran it without coolant. Still ran great.

Performance was very sluggish at first. I replaced the wires and plugs with split-fire, and removed the camper shell. This pushed its performance up drastically.

Power steering on this is amazing. It's the easiest to use and steer I had ever seen until I bought my Buick Regal. (I'm learning that this is also true of my new Plymouth Horizon. I guess Dodge makes good power steering. :)

Very cold-blooded. In the winter it would only get 12mpg or so. During the summer it was closer to 20mpg.

Stock stereo system sucked. It was easy to replace, I ended up filing down the radio slot to fit a $90 Sam's club special in its place.

The door mounts for the speakers were a pain. The speakers would frequently short out on the door if they weren't tightened down periodically.

Rebuilt the engine after the head cracked. The performance was never the same again.

Review Date: 14th April, 2003

14th Nov 2003, 17:10

I very much agree with your review of the Ram 50. I am 17 years old and I drive a 1986 Ram 50 four by four. I hunt in this truck, and it is known in my school as "The Goat" due to its climbing ability. Your review is the best I have ever read on the internet.

25th May 2007, 13:18

My 1986 Dodge D-50 is about the most reliable trucks I have had. With the Mitsubishi engine and solid body construction it was a real deal purchase. About the only problem was the automatic choke; it wouldn't open all the way so I disabled it and although I have to feather it till it reaches operating temperature. It get about 40 Miles per gallon and with the price of gas these days it does make a difference.

12th May 2011, 22:12

I bought this 1986 D50 pickup for $50.00 because it had two problems; automatic choke didn't open fully and would dump too much gas into the engine; so I disabled it; works fine once it warms up.

Secondly the tranny had to be replaced, this cost me only $100.00 including the clutch, and it has been going since I bought it 12 years ago. It has been doing my hauling jobs without trouble. I have loaded it up to 2000 pounds with sand, and had no problem going, although the overload springs helped.

1986 Dodge D50 Power Ram 4x4 2.6L from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.6L Manual
Previous carSubaru Justy

Summary:

Buy something else

Blown head gasket one month after purchase, warped head - $350.

Frozen caliper - $158.

Exhaust rattling constantly.

Excess body rot, rust everywhere.

Absolutely NO power.

Replaced ballast resistor - no one had the part, used one cost $10.

Excess oil usage, 1 quart every 100 miles.

Will not start in cold weather.

Un-locateable vaccum leak.

Tail lamps went out.

Alternator faulty.

Alignment problems.

Weather stripping became loose.

Wiper motor is weak.

Interior pieces falling off, broken.

General Comments:

It's a real piece of crap, but it's good on gas.

Review Date: 18th April, 2001

29th Jan 2004, 22:21

For all these problems to occur within a short period of time, can only lead to one conclusion; the poor truck was not well taken care of, and was sold in poor condition. When the exhaust starts to rattle, it means the catalytic converter has burned up and caused the truck to over heat, which in turn blew the head gasket. What caused the catalytic converter burn up? The answer lies in simple maintenance. The truck was not properly tuned.

Everything else is normal wear and tear, leading to eventual break down. Every vehicle needs to be kept up in order for it to function normally, and everyone should carefully check these details upon purchasing a used vehicle.

30th Mar 2012, 12:06

Guess you should have checked it out a little better before you bought it.