2001 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 Liter from North America

Caravans are garbage!!!

We had are 2001 Grand Caravan Sport AWD 3.8L for 3 years. This van has been nothing, but a money pit. We bought it used with 44,000 miles on it. The first day we pick it up it needed the sway bar bushing replaced. The blower motor resistor has blow out 7 times and no mechanic can figure out the problem. The belt squeaks and was told it is the way the engine compartment is design. It drains water right onto the belt. The van is sometimes dead in the morning and needs to be jumped (note new battery and alternator @ 65,000 miles). We now have 95,000. We pick it up from the dealer yesterday after replacing the tie rods and struts. On the way home still made noise! Brought it back today and was told it needs new sway bar bushings! What a surprise! Say away from the Caravan!!

Review Date: 7th March, 2007

14th Apr 2007, 12:18

Could not agree more. I bought a 2001 Caravan with 4,000 miles on it. It now has 60,000, This car has been nothing, but trouble, the heating system, air conditioning, transmission (just replaced) electric system. Stay away from this van.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 from North America

What can I say?!?!?! GREAT!

Something with the heater went a month or so after I got it which caused it to only work on high. But no problem, it was only a $20 part.

Squeaks sometimes like Styrofoam rubbing against something.

General Comments:

This is an awesome minivan! Very quiet and tight sounding vehicle with really good acceleration. Stereo bass is really good, even at high volume. I don't think there's much else I can say, but 2 thumbs up Dodge!!

Review Date: 10th February, 2006

11th Feb 2006, 10:27

I'm glad to see another fellow grand caravan driver proves that this van isn't a piece of crap.

23rd May 2006, 14:47

I have owned a Grand Caravan ES with the 3.8L engine for 18months. Trouble free, peppy and nice, comfortable ride.

25th Sep 2006, 14:31

I think, it is a great minivan. Bought it at 170000 miles and now I have 187000 on it and it is as new as it. I have taken it to smokey mountains and it was a great ride. Would recommend it to all.

22nd Jul 2007, 02:22

The van is still going strong at 175k km!!

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3 from North America

Versatile, comfortable, reliable transportation

The end links and sway bar bushing needed replacement at 100,000 miles.

When it gets above 95 degrees, the speedometer doesn't work.

General Comments:

The 2001 is very slow as compared to our 94.You really have to step on it to pass or get on the highway.

It is very comfortable. I drive a Porsche and sometimes I just like to have a easy, comfortable ride, so I take the Dodge.

It's very sure footed in slippery weather.

The cabin is roomy and I love the dual sliding doors.

It's nice looking and the fit and finish are decent.

The transmission has been fine. However, I always change transmission fluid at 100,000 miles. I think that is critical.

Overall, we are very happy with Grand Caravans and plan on getting more.

Review Date: 11th December, 2005

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3 from North America

I wouldn't be without one.

The speedometer works intermittently.

The valve covers leak oil.

General Comments:

The van is very comfortable and roomy.

However, it is very, very slow. Getting on the highway is a chore unlike earlier model Caravans.

I give it high marks as a reliable, cost effective, people hauler. Out of our six cars it gets driven the most.

Review Date: 25th August, 2005

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3.8 from North America

The most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned

Thermostat stuck open at 92,000 miles, quick cheap fix.

Driver's side sliding door lock doesn't unlock with the power locks.

Brakes squeal even though there is nothing wrong. Was told that this is a problem with quite a few Chrysler products.

General Comments:

After reading the previous reviews, I felt inclined to give you my story. We bought our 2001 ES used. We are picky about maintenance, and have not had any real major problems up to now with 97,000 miles.

My ES seems to be an oddball though, the VIN number comes back as an all wheel drive van, although mine isn't. It also has the 3.8L engine, which I haven't seen too many of, but it gives the van quite a bit of pep for the size. We also have blue leather interior, and the seats couldn't be any more comfortable, even after 4 years and 97,000+ miles.

The factory original paint still shines like new, and the only wear on the inside is on the driver's side carpet where my left foot rests.

The only real complaints I have are the poor gas mileage from the 3.8L engine and the squeaky brakes that have been replaced by Dodge 4 times since new. I think now that the warranty is up, next brake job, I might stick some semi-metallic pads on it. The dealership uses carbon metallic pads, which seem to be really noisy and there is nothing you can do about it. While the semi-metallic may not last as long, I feel the trade-off not to have to hear the squealing at every stop would be worth it.

Review Date: 29th July, 2005