2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 V6 from North America

Summary:

Overall good value for folks who can't afford a Honda

Knocking sound from the front end was diagnosed by the dealer to be a faulty steering rack, but it turned out to be tie-rod ends.

HVAC works erratically - blows hot one side, cold the other; Fan switch required replacing; overall the problem was not fixed.

General Comments:

Other than the problems listed above and normal wear items, this van has been very reliable. I am not happy with the HVAC at all - Mechanics don't seem to know how to fix it.

Comfort and ride quality has been improved over last generation. Squeaks and rattles are greatly reduced - seems like a tighter body structure.

Fit and finish is not very good - body panels are misaligned.

3.3 V6 is underpowered especially compared to Honda and Toyota. Fuel consumption is high.

I've owned 4 model generations of Caravan, and although I would probably prefer a Honda or Toyota, the Caravans are far less expensive when buying used and are a good overall value. I would not buy a new one - Honda or Toyota if I had the bucks!

Review Date: 15th July, 2005

15th Jul 2005, 12:18

I also have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport, and could not agree with you more on how weak the 3.3 liter V-6 is. I wish my van had the larger motor. My van also had the tie rod ends replaced, as well as a power steering motor. Overall, I am satisfied, because this van is a good value for those that cannot afford the Honda or Toyota.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 fuel injection from North America

Summary:

I am so disappointed with the transmission malfunction with this van

The transmission failed at 63,600 miles.

There was a bolt missing on the brakes.

General Comments:

This van is one of the most beautiful, sleek, and stylish vans on the road. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it!

Somehow, I still think the seats should be easier to get out.

Review Date: 7th October, 2004

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan LX 3.3L from North America

Summary:

A piece of Chrysler junk

Thermostat stuck 1 week after we bought the car.

Transmission went out at 42,000 miles.

A/C air moves from upper vents to lower vents, depending on engine speed.

General Comments:

This car epitomizes "unreliability". We had previously owned a 1994 Plymouth Voyager and put nearly 150,000 miles on it with no major problems. We felt we needed to upgrade to have a more reliable vehicle. But this 2001 model has left us at the side of the road in 20,000 miles than the 1994 did in 145,000 miles.

I work for a company that makes cast aluminum parts for various automotive manufacturers. If one of our parts fails, then the automotive manufacturers come down on us, big time. We also hear from them when they want annual price decreases. But, if they can't pass the buck they won't take care of their customers and when was the last time they gave THEIR customers price reductions year after year?

Review Date: 12th January, 2004

15th Mar 2004, 13:01

I feel very cheated after reading so much about how so many people love their Dodge Caravans. My 2001 Caravan, brand new off the lot, broke down on me on day #2 of owning it. It needed a new transmission module. They had the car over 2 weeks. Less than a yr later it went in again for a coil pack replacement. This week it is giving me problems again, as the engine has started to jump and skip while idling. I wish it were easy to just return it and get another one.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES from North America

Summary:

The van is beautiful, but a true loser when it comes to quality

I have had the computer "brain" replaced twice because the power sliding doors quit working. This 2nd time, I got 3 months on the doors before they've quit working again. Compared to the first replacement, this was good. I only got one week on the first replacement before the doors quit. The doors did work for one full year after I bought it. Of course, the Dodge dealer/service says they cannot work on the doors until "they" see them not working. Since the initial phase of the problem is sporadic, I have to be lucky to be close to the dealer's shop when the doors aren't working. So, the doors basically have to be "dead" before the dealer service is any help.

I had the driver's side seat heater replaced in the second winter of use. Now, in the third winter (beginning of winter), the passenger side seat heater has quit working. Naturally, I'll have to go through the process of taking the van to the dealer, let them see it's not working, they'll order the part, and then I'll have to go back for the replacement.

After a 1 1/2 years, the speedometer started running in reverse. That wasn't nearly as good, though, as when the latest new computer was put in. I lost 6,000 miles on the odometer on that replacement. The dealer did not respond to my query when I told the service manager that I lost 6,000 miles.

The engine has picked up a "heartbeat," and the service folks cannot find out what it is. So, they've told me not worry about it.

I had the sway bar links and bushings replaced at 37,000 miles.

The bottom line on this car... I went back and purchased the maximum car extended warranty before the 36,000 mile warranty expired. The van has spent more time in the shop than all other cars combined that I've ever had.

Review Date: 4th January, 2004

15th Feb 2004, 23:37

Durning the first year both front power windows motors have been replaced twice, but there has been no recall mind you. Also durning the second year my AC had to be replaced the condenser. The power steering pump went out as well. I have not been pleased with the problems and I have never owned a car with so many problems early on.