1999 Dodge Neon 2.0 SOHC from North America

Summary:

If I was not mechanically inclined and with tools, I would have had to sell it a long time ago

Head gasket blew at 32,000 miles.

New Spark Plugs every 15,000 mile or car will bog on acceleration.

Power steering pump seals blew at 55,000 miles.

A/C stopped working at 65,000 miles.

D-Tent cable broke on transmission at 68,000 miles. (would not up-shift if more than 1/2 throttle was applied).

Windshield wiper motor failed at 78,000 miles.

Brakes squeal terribly loud. They need (front) replacement every 15,000 miles.

Radiator blew out at 79,000 miles.

Both front calipers needed replacement at 82,000 miles.

Alternator went at 82,500 miles (Car is on jacks in driveway now).

Rear wheel (right) bearing went at 82,500 miles (see above).

Struts need replacement, Loud knocking sound over bumps and diminished ride quality. (current)

General Comments:

The car had good handling and ride for a good price of $9,000 U.S.D.

The Auto made it significantly slower than a Manual car since it has only three gears.

It uses little gas, 25 mpg city, and 35 - 43 mpg (speed and season dependent) mpg HWY.

Review Date: 20th November, 2004

23rd Nov 2004, 13:59

1999 dodge neon in my point of view is the worst car I have ever owned. If I wasn't mechanically inclined I would have burned it long ago. i bought it used in sept 2004. The car ran awesome for the first few months and all the pieces started to fall apart. I lost the transmission at 130 000kms.All the one time the ring gear split, the main oil seal went. Every code that dodge created came flashing on the service engine soon light was starting to be a permanent fixture in my dashes illumination. I also have the three speed automatic and on the highway doing 100 kph the posted speed limit the car whines worst than me in this letter. I hope in the future manufactures take responsibility of the expensive pieces of #$%& they mass produce I'm not rich, but the market should have some kind of quality for us little guys also.

10th Jan 2006, 13:57

I have a '98 Neon purchased from the factory.

At 3K miles my sunroof locked up. Over the next year I had it repaired three times. When it locks there is no way to close it. There is not a manual crank.

At 10K my head gasket blew. At 15K my air-conditioning went. At 16K I had a valve job. I have had the trans linkage worked on three times in the last six months (it freezes up).

My next purchase will be a Honda or some other foreign make. I have had it with American technology.

R. T. Amherst, New York.

16th Oct 2006, 12:02

I agree with everything said here. Had I known that Neons had so many problems, I wouldn't have bought one. Mine 1998 Neon is at about 74,000 miles now. My air conditioner doesn't work anymore, I've had sensors go, I've had to replace the fuel pump and now I have oil leaking. I agree with my supervisor who had a Neon as well that they are disposable cars. You just drive them until they can't go any further and then get another car.

1999 Dodge Neon Sedan from North America

Summary:

You get what you pay

I haven't experienced any major difficulties.

General Comments:

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with their locks?

Review Date: 15th July, 2004

24th Jun 2006, 19:16

If the only problem you have with it are the door locks, then why in the world did you give it a sad face?

1999 Dodge Neon Highline 2.0L SOHC 16v from North America

Summary:

A great starter car

My sunroof started acting funny at 65,000 miles and it was fixed under my warranty.

I have had the engine tuned up because of a rough idle.

General Comments:

My general comments are good about the car. I've had the routine service done at the dealer and they take really good care of my car. I would buy another Neon in a heartbeat. It has been a great car and got me back and fourth to school carrying 4 people flawlessly.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2004