1995 Dodge Ram Pickup Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 5.2 V8 Manual
Previous carDodge Ram Pickup

Summary:

I like Dodge Ram pickups, and love the power Dodge has in its engines

I had a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 for over 5 years, auto transmission and V6 engine. The only thing I ever replaced was tires, and regular maintenance like oil and anti freeze. It was a very good running truck, then it was demolished in a F5 tornado on May 24th, 2011.

About a month later, I bought a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 from an individual who doesn't know how to take care of vehicles. It had almost pure water in the radiator. The front ball joints are worn, tires were bald. The rear axle suddenly went out my 3rd time driving it. The previous owner did some "self painting" even with magic markers - so you can see my point. I have pretty much R&R'ed this truck, but the oil pressure light comes on once in a while while idling.

General Comments:

I like the 1995 Dodge Ram over the 2001 Dodge, in that it's a standard transmission, V8 engine. It actually gets better fuel mileage than my 2001 did with a V6. The 1995 also has electric windows and locks, all that work, and chrome rims.

I think others have said it best. You buy a truck from someone who took care of it - you get a good vehicle. But you buy - like in my case - from someone who doesn't take care of a vehicle - it will cost.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2011

1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 5.9 Magnum from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 5.9 Magnum Automatic
Most recent distance192145 miles

Summary:

It is a fantastic truck, very trustworthy

I had a fuel pump go bad after 6 years. Had a new one installed, but it wasn't installed correctly, so I had a new one installed.

Driver seat wore out and ripped on the door side after 10 years.

General Comments:

It has never left me stranded. It never has needed to be brought to a mechanic.

It runs very well, it has been running since 1995, and it still runs like it is brand new.

Review Date: 15th March, 2010

1995 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500HD 5.9L CTD from North America

Engine and transmission 5.9L CTD Automatic
Distance when acquired195000 kilometres
Previous carDodge D100

Summary:

Only good thing about this truck is the driveline

At 195,000kms the exhaust fell off from the muffler back.

1000kms later I had to replace my radiator; it was completely rotten, this cost me over $600.

4000kms later I had to rebuild the alternator, cost was $400.

6000kms later my front drive shaft fell off, ripping my transmission lines out, leaving me stranded in a snow storm. Had to tow it to a shop, cost me $300 to fix the transmission, and then I had to source a rebuilt drive shaft; this cost me $400 + $150 shipping + $50 duty.

Right after I replace my drive shaft, the transfer case linkage broke, cost $20 for a piece of metal + $5 a piece for 2 rubber grommets.

5000kms later, I had to rebuild the starter and replace BOTH battery cables at the tune of $250.

3000kms later my auto transmission starts slipping out of 4th, apparently I need a new torque converter, price ranging from $400-$1000 depending on what type of TC I want. Since I don't have $1000 to sink into the truck, I've been driving it with 4th gear disabled.. so far so good, but I can feel the transmission is starting to go, mechanic says it has another 20,000kms left tops... that was when the truck was at 215,000kms, I'm now at 264,000kms haha.

General Comments:

The exhaust still hasn't been fixed because it wasn't bad back in '08, but now it leaking from pretty much everywhere,$500 for a new one. The truck also has many other little problems that I have not had the time to fix.

The only redeeming feature of this truck is the invincible 5.9L 12V Cummings, it has not given me a single problem. Also worth mentioning is the Dana 70 rear axle and the Dana 60 front axle, which seem to be a lifetime item. The HD transfer case has also been problem free.

Overall though this truck is a money pit. If it wasn't for the amazing off road capability and the amazing power of the engine, I would have sold it long ago, though to the truck's benefit, once you replace the broken parts for expensive high performance ones, they don't re-break.

Definitely stay away from the 1995-1998 trucks and go for the 1998.5-2000 TD's, that's when Dodge fixed all the problems. My 1987 D100 with 350,000kms was more reliable than this truck; that doesn't say much...

Review Date: 25th January, 2010