1984 Dodge Ramcharger Base 5.9 360 LA from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle out there

Needed new tires.

General Comments:

Bought this beast for $500, and it was sitting in place for 8 years without being started up. Jumped in, it started up, and drove it 12 miles to my house on the really bad 35" tires that were on it with steel rims.

I changed the tires to 31" and found factory aluminum rims for it. I then put on chrome valve covers and an air filter with an Edelbrock aluminum performance intake, 650 Edelbrock carb, and Hedmen headers.

I'm 17, and I did all the work on it. I will have this truck till I die.

Review Date: 4th January, 2012

1984 Dodge Ramcharger 150 Royal 2.0 318 from North America

Summary:

Dodge Rhino

I paid $600, drove it home and it died.

Replaced the motor with a '71 318.

Transmission lasted 3 days after motor change.

Rebuilt trans with a BM shift kit (street) and a custom built stall converter.

Rear-end "whined", replaced it with a 30,000 mile rear from a van, had to R+R the perches.

Electrical was all junk. Removed the air conditioning/heater system from the firewall, removed all vents under the dash, all the door/window wiring from the doors and under the dash is removed (it just plugs into a cable to the fuse box). I have dash lights, gauge lights, and the cigarette lighter works.

Alternator gauge died, truck died. Wired alternator direct to positive battery terminal, no problems in 2 years.

General Comments:

Dodge was originally going to call this vehicle the "Rhino". YEAH!

My current weight is about 3,000 Lbs.

15-17 MPG with the Ethanol with the stock '71 2 bbl holly.

Everybody who has ridden in my truck, LOVES it.

I'm a Raiders fan, and the factory black and silver paint rocks.

I have "de-accessorized" so my electronics are 1972.

Just "Monster" is the only word, or maybe Rhino.

I can pass in a curve, and off the line I have beaten G-35's.

Been driving Mopar for 20 years, best vehicle I have ever owned.

In 29 years, I'll buy a Magnum.

Review Date: 12th January, 2011

13th Jan 2011, 13:59

Great review of a great tank!

My first car was a red and silver 85 Ram prospector singles cab short wheel base with a 318. Loved that truck. It had 130k on the clock when I got it. Sold it to my neighbor after putting 65k on it about 6 years ago. He is still driving it today. The only thing he has had to do to it to my knowledge is replace both front brake calipers (beyond normal maintenance of course).

These things were great! Miss mine.

1984 Dodge Ramcharger Royale SE 5.9 (360 c.i.) from North America

Summary:

This is a great off-road as well as daily use vehicle

When I purchased this truck, it ran poorly.

The previous owner hadn't done regular maintenance and the carburetor was very gummed up with oil residue.

Driver's seat frame was cracked.

Driver's power window didn't work.

Rear main oil seal leaked.

General Comments:

This truck has a rust-free body, good paint, a three inch lift, and custom wheels.

With the previously mentioned problems, I was able to buy this truck for $2,000.

I replaced the carburetor with a 600 cfm Edelbrock and repaired all the other problems in one day.

It is now a solid, reliable vehicle with all the factory options (which all operate).

The four wheel drive has come to the aid of numerous people stuck in the mud or snow.

Review Date: 29th December, 2004

1984 Dodge Ramcharger Royal SE 150 318 V8 from North America

Summary:

Worthy of the name Dodge

Replaced entire wiring harness and engine electrical systems.

Radio.

Rust on both quarter panels, driver side door and rear fenders.

Windshield leaked.

Power windows and locks were bad.

General Comments:

There was not a mud hole this Ramcharger could not tame. The power it had was unreal.

Ran very well despite all the problems I had when I first acquired it.

Review Date: 28th December, 2003

1984 Dodge Ramcharger Prospector 318 from North America

Summary:

A real beast of burden, but would not have it any other way

The rear main oil seal leaks

Drivers side seat frame broke

Steering gear blew up

Transmission will not shift when cold due to a torque converter drain back problem.

General Comments:

When the truck was bought there were some major issues that needed to be corrected such as the steering gear and the windshield wipers.

The truck was bought for a really good deal and although some money needs to be put in to make it what I want, the Ramcharger is by far the best that I have owned.

Review Date: 11th July, 2003

5th Feb 2011, 20:25

I just bought a 1984 Dodge Ramcharger. It now has a weird sound coming from motor. I love the body style, it's a little rough, but looks nice. My sons already want my truck. It's a keep sake.

New Dodge owner.