1995 Dodge Spirit Reviews

Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.5L SOHC I4 Automatic

Summary:

A great car that I would drive to hell and back!

O2 sensor (regular maintenance item).

Exhaust rusted out (I live in the "salt belt").

Wheel bearings (rear) at 100k.

Wheel bearing, front passenger - $44 part.

CV axle, driver, split boot, joint ruined- $60 for the entire axle.

Radio burned out (my fault).

General Comments:

This is a fantastic little car. It's easy to see out of, gets good gas mileage, handles surprisingly well (the steering is heavy but precise; you get a very good feel for the road), and has an extremely roomy back seat.

This car has never let me down, even in sub-zero weather with a so-so battery. The car is easy to work on, and the parts are dirt cheap. I've had some problems with the car, but I would consider everything except the CV joint to be essentially maintenance items.

The car has some scratches and dings, but is in very good shape for a 16 year old car. No major rust issues, just some surface stuff in the couple of scratches she has; overall less than the size of a half-dollar if you added it all up.

These cars are as tough as nails if you take care of them. The 2.5 with the 3spd is pretty much bulletproof.

The performance is so-so, I've made a couple of tweaks to improve it, like a cam timing advance and running full synthetic, so she has just enough pep to break the wheels loose for a little bit when I stomp on it. Fairly low and fairly wide, so the car feels like it's glued to the ground in turns.

The interior is utilitarian, not a whole lot of electronic junk to break. Feels well-finished, simple, boxy and dated, but functional and easy to take care of. Gauges are large and easy to read. Controls are simple and intuitive.

Excellent stereo, I now have a Pioneer, but the Infinity sounded nice before it fried.

People are surprised at how big the back seat and trunk are; my friend has a Grand Am, and I would say they're pretty close to equal in terms of interior room.

Easy to park; the boxy design lets you know exactly where the corners are at all times.

Review Date: 24th April, 2011

1995 Dodge Spirit 2.5 inline four from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.5 inline four Automatic
Previous carDodge Spirit

Summary:

Great driver

Nothing.

Before I traded my friend, my old Spirit, he had the transmission redone. Other than that, no complaints.

General Comments:

I owned a 1994 Spirit and a 1995 Spirit. So far both were great cars; very roomy, easy to park, good ride, reliable, and great on gas.

Overall very satisfied.

Review Date: 9th September, 2010

1995 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5 liter Automatic
Most recent distance132000 miles
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

I got a very sturdy, very sporty looking car

Needed a rebuilt transmission, the reason I got it so cheap.

Replaced timing belt and new valve cover gasket, didn't really need to.

General Comments:

I got this car at a new car lot in the back forty. I paid $300.00 for it. It had two flat tires. It is the red ES with gold rims and pin striping, and a luggage rack on the trunk with tinted windows.

The car was last driven in 2003. The transmission went out, and the previous owner washed it and put a tarp on it, and parked it in a barn for four years. I put a battery in it and put air in tires, and drove it home. Transmission was slipping but I made it.

The paint on this car is perfect and the car cleaned up beautiful. The 2.5 liter engine has plenty of power. And I get 26 mpg regularly. I love this car, very comfortable driving. I am 6"3.

Review Date: 27th March, 2009

8th Dec 2009, 17:06

I got a 94 Spirit Gold Package. Same motor, I love it too, it's a great car.

1995 Dodge Spirit V6 3.0 litre V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 litre V6 Automatic
Most recent distance152000 kilometres
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Good when it works and horrible when it doesn't

At 150000km:

The water pump was leaking.

The radiator was leaking.

The A/C was leaking freon.

The ERG valve needed replacing.

The battery needed replacing.

Timing belt needed replacing.

Problems with the gauges showing wrong information.

Lights on temperature controls don't come on 99% of the time.

The car has stalled a few times so far, often with Check Engine or Check Gauges light coming on.

General Comments:

Everyone says this car is reliable and easy to fix, but for the few months that I have owned it, I have had it taken in to various shops many times to get this fixed or that replaced. About once a month something goes wrong, usually costing about $300 to fix...only to have something else go wrong.

When it works, it works well. The V6 engine gives a good sprint off the line. No problems passing other cars.

The interior is fairly decent.

The car makes wide turns, and in general is not a nimble machine at all.

Gas mileage isn't too great... But that may be a problem that has developed over time and not how the car was originally.

I've spent more money trying to fix this car than I spent in buying it and I'm sick of putting money into it. I wouldn't recommend this car.

Review Date: 13th April, 2006

14th Apr 2006, 13:37

I wouldn't worry about too many people picking this particular make up. The last one I saw was 10 years ago while in college.