1998 Fiat Brava Reviews

1998 Fiat Brava SX 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Model year1998
Year of manufacture1998
Previous carNissan Micra

Summary:

Keep well away - awful. My old crappy Micra was 100 times better than this piece of rubbish

The car cuts off when idle for a long time, and has even cut off many times when driving in 3rd gear at about 30 mph, which is extremely dangerous - no one can figure out why it does this.

I see from other remarks I am not the only person to experience this - I previously thought it was just my car.

It has cut off many time turning corners, which nearly resulted in colliding with traffic on the opposite side of the road, due to loss of power steering, or turning off a road and stalling, resulting in oncoming traffic nearly slamming into me. No one would touch this car with a barge pole - I tried to sell it previously, and not one person called for it.

There are a lot of blind spots on the car.

The electrics on the car are disgusting. Nothing seems to work altogether, always something is not working - if not the wind screen washers, the electric sunroof, if not the rear wiper, the airbag doesn't register or something on the dashboard won't light up or work. Really tacky quality.

The body work also seems to be made from tin foil - when you look closely, and after the novelty of buying it has worn off - it really is a cheap, nasty and tacky car.

The stalling and cutting off problem seems to be worse in summer - doesn't happen to my car in winter for some reason. This cutting off also consumes a lot of petrol - starting up all the time - or when you are in traffic, and it keeps cutting out - I've used nearly 1/4 of a tank driving hardly anywhere because of this.

I paid probably too much initially for this car, and it hasn't kept its value at all. A same spec car, say a VW or Peugeot, are easily worth £1000 more - same mileage, condition and year - so do yourself a favour and buy something else.

My car was recently written off - due to a tyre blow out - and all I can say is thank goodness the piece of crap has gone.

General Comments:

The interior is very plastic and ugly.

Electrics on the car are very poor quality; even the wiring of the car is poor quality and tacky.

It is a sluggish car for a 1.6; very slow pull off.

It sounds like an old diesel or a tractor when idle.

Seats are fairly comfortable, which is probably the only good feature.

Not a reliable car at all, and very dangerous.

I'm surprised Fiat has not recalled these cars.

Expensive to fix.

Review Date: 15th July, 2007

1998 Fiat Brava EL 80cv 12v 1.4 from Portugal

Model year1998
Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership1998
Previous carRenault 19

Summary:

Very Stylish, average engine, poor plastics

Air conditioning is good enough, but the car loses all its "horses" for that...

Side door windows rubber seals keeps on moving of alignment.

Door Handle Rubber from all four doors cracked and disintegrated.

Right rear-view mirror is getting dark (water infiltrations).

Two screws from the tablier are always falling...

Driver Seat became noisy after 5 yrs.

General Comments:

Love the concept (Pinifarina - need to say anything else?...), look and equipment (when prices are compared to similar models...) Shame on them for discontinuing this model for the awful Fiat Stilo...

Despite all plastic problems on doors and tablier, the engine never gave me any single problem. "Fells good" to see all those BMW, Mercedes (and so on) stopped aside the road for engine problems (and not make part of the show myself...).

Review Date: 8th May, 2005

16th Feb 2007, 05:30

I totally agree with most of this...

I've owned my 98 Fiat Bravo for 3 years and despite the old "FIAT=Fix It Again Tomorrow" comments I get from friends I've really enjoyed driving it. It looks great for a lower priced car and its very economical. I get it serviced regularly and its never let me down. But I do agree about the squeaky drivers seat and door handle rubbers.

20th Feb 2007, 08:52

I know somebody with a terrible old fiat bravo. He has crashed it many times, but says it is a good car. It does not go very fast 0-60 in 23 seconds and a top speed of 72.5 mph. It is simply the worst car I have ever seen, ever. It will soon fall apart.