1998 Fiat Brava SX 1.4 12V from Czech Republic

Summary:

Good and lovely car

Since the beginning the gearbox was noisy at approximately 2500 RPM. The dealer replaced it for the brand new one in guarantee period, but the noise is still present. It must be the design fault transferring this.

The rear absorbers had to be replaced at 45000 km due to oil leakage and poor function.

The car starter coil was replaced as it stopped work at 51000 km.

General Comments:

The car itself is relatively nice in design of exterior/interior, comfortable to drive and travel having roomy interior which sometimes emits cracking noise from right-front door plastic paneling.

Material used on dashboard (hard plastic) corresponds to the price category of the car (It would be appreciable to have soft dashboard for the next).

Boot is the biggest among these compact cars as far as I know.

No corrosion was detected so far.

Surprisingly the fuel consumption is low; it is 6.7 l per 100 km in average.

Overall impression of this car is very good. It is also from my friends who has FIAT Brava.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2004

1998 Fiat Brava SX 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Love it! I would buy another

At 65000 miles, The rear brake cylinder collapsed.

Just after my 3 month warranty had finished, I had problems with the Sunroof, a clip had perished and now rattles when the car is at speed.

General Comments:

After owning a Rover 100, this car is luxurious!

I have found the car reasonably reliable so far.

Superb handling, however it is sluggish up hills.

My only negative point, I find the car heavy on petrol.

Review Date: 28th December, 2003

1998 Fiat Brava ELX 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Generally a good second hand buy

The right hand front electric window has stopped working.

The seat heater in the drivers seat has stopped working.

The rear window demisters have stopped working.

General Comments:

The performance of this car is OK however the acceleration is sluggish compared to other turbo diesels like the Golf or Seat Leon.

However the interior styling is second to none and the whole dashboard and radio setup give an air of quality given by no other car in the same price bracket.

The seats in this model are extremely comfortable.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2003

1998 Fiat Brava S 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I want my money back

First of all the exhaust went.

Then the alternator belt snapped.

The RPM sensor went next what ever that is. This caused the car not to start intermittently so I couldn't go anywhere without someone to give me a push start.

Next without warning the engine dropped a valve and I have been told that I now need a new engine. Fiat explained that the engine had become starved of oil. This is impossible as the recovery man who recovered me said all my levels were fine.

General Comments:

This car was a waste of time and money.

I can't trust it to start anytime.

The dealers at Fiat are unhelpful and arrogant.

When fully maintained how can a car need a new engine after four years with no realistic explanation of fault.

Review Date: 18th November, 2002

1st Jun 2004, 10:45

I know a Fiat Mechanic well and he tells me if you don't use semi- or fully synthetic oil in the bravo/bravas etc the pipe that feeds the oil to the top of the engine becomes blocked and therefore leads to engine trouble. The pipe at the top of the engine has fine holes and can block if ordinary oil is used.

25th Oct 2006, 04:07

The problem isn't so much the type of oil as the frequency of oil changes and services. Skip oil changes and the feed to the cam sprayer bar blocks, letting the cams go dry.

Oil type would be a secondary factor... although the problem seems to kill most 1.4's in the end.

28th May 2008, 22:58

The oil pump screwed my engine, had to shell out for a second hand one........ which wasn't nice.

1998 Fiat Brava SX 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

85,000 miles in 2 years - fleet car report

Airbag warning light kept coming on - needed a new control module which took 3 months to arrive.

Clutch needed replacement at 45K miles.

Front washer motor packed up and has had 2 rear washers - kept breaking.

General Comments:

The car has been run from new as a fleet car up to the present day mileage of 85K miles. It is expected that I will keep the car until 100K before replacement.

Front seats are horrendously uncomfortable. Glovebox is miniscule but the boot is huge. Poor for tall drivers (I am 6 feet tall) and find that my legs are bent considerably even though I have the seat all the way back.

For the money, it is well equipped but the image is quite poor and the build quality is not up to that of its rivals.

Review Date: 17th December, 2000

28th Dec 2000, 14:46

Further update: light switch has just packed up, leaving me with no lights on a long journey. Dealer did not stock the parts and have to wait about a week for them to come in - not exactly acceptable when you can't drive the thing in the dark.

This is just another fault in a long line of (especially) electrical faults; as before, dealers do not seem to stock the parts.

I hate this car and can't wait for it to go back to the leasing company.

13th Mar 2001, 01:02

The latest... car now has 94K on the clock and is, amazingly, still going. The engine overheated last weekend, needing a visit from the AA, who put it down to a radiator that was disintegrating, thus reducing its efficiency and causing the car to overheat.

8th Jul 2001, 07:35

Radiator got fixed at cost of £300 at the main dealer. Had to wait 5 days for the replacement to be delivered. It now has 104,000 on it (remember it's only 2.5 yrs old) and it's finally going back in 4 weeks. I CAN HARDLY WAIT. And my next car?? A Ford Focus.

17th Jul 2001, 15:25

105k miles in 2.5 years!!!

Don't fancy your job mate! Hope you get shot of it soon.

Focus next though... Fords are a bit hit and miss, you'd better get a good one.

5th Aug 2001, 12:31

I can never understand the delay for delivering parts that dealers give. These parts should be available next day - if they tell you any longer then they ARE LYING!