2004 Fiat Punto Reviews - Page 2 of 6

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carFiat Punto

Summary:

Very good all rounder car, if a little boring

Nothing has ever gone wrong, just some annoying things:

Creaking noise from dash where CD player sits.

Gear knob came loose, but nothing a blob of super glue couldn't fix.

General Comments:

This is a very well specced car with decent day to day performance, with good fuel economy. This car is fitted with the 100bhp JTD multijet diesel engine, and being as light as the car is, it's pretty nippy. Rapid would be a definite over statement, but I would probably summarise it's performance with the word 'decent'. It can be rough when started in the cold, but it smooths down once up to temp. Being a turbo diesel, it offers a very smooth and relaxing drive, especially on the motorway. At higher motorway speeds, it can really take off when you put your foot down in 5th gear. I get about 50mpg out of it on average.

Ride quality is a, but rubbish, but certaintly not unbearable. I had a Punto Sporting before this, and the ride was very jiggly. I think with the extra weight of the engine, this car is smoother over bumps, but not as good as, say, a Ford Fiesta. Handling is OK, it will under steer quite soon if you turn in fast, but it never catches you out, the under steer comes on gradually. Having disc brakes all round, it stops very quickly. However, when I asked for a quote from Fiat for new discs and pads all round, they quoted me £500 with fitting!!

The interior is a nice place to be, perhaps a bit cheaply put together in places, but it still looks nice, and I doubt it's going to collapse in on itself anytime soon, so I'm not worried! It has dual zone climate control, 6 CD changer, a little sub in the back, and a trip computer. Practicality is very good for a car of its size.

All in all it's a very good car: very reliable, gets you from a-b with no hassle, looks quite nice, has a high level of kit, is cheap to run and has decent performance. The only thing I would say against it is that it's rather BORING! Not that I don't like it, it just doesn't excite me when I drive it, which is why I intend on changing it for something small with a revvy petrol engine. I also want something that handles better. I said this car handles OK, but it runs out of grip much sooner than I'd like for what's supposed to be a 'sporty' car.

Review Date: 18th January, 2007

2004 Fiat Punto Active Sports 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2004
Previous carPeugeot 106

Summary:

Great, brilliant, very happy

When turning on the ignition, it takes a while for the car to start.

Tends to oversteer (maybe not used to power steering yet).

Gear box feels clunky.

Clutch pedal is very slippy, and quite small.

Lots of blind spots, especially when reversing.

General Comments:

The Punto is a very gentle, smooth and comfortable drive.

I am impressed by the City Drive electrically assisted power steering; a very lazy extra.

There are a lot of different ways of adjusting the seats and steering wheel. This makes the car very individual to a person.

Surprisingly nippy for a 1.2.

My last car had induction kit and twin exhaust, 4 point manifold, and de-cat. I knocked 5 seconds off the standard 20 second 0-60 time, but the Punto does this as standard.

I paid £3,600 for my Punto. It's worth every penny!!

I'm not keen on the CD player, but it doesn't skip all the time.

I drove from Birmingham to Scotland on a full tank, and had a quarter left on arrival. And drove around for a week until topping up.

Review Date: 24th August, 2006