2004 Fiat Punto Reviews - Page 4 of 6

2004 Fiat Punto ACTIVE 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004

Summary:

Break down after break down

After a week of having the car the brakes failed on me. I ended up hitting someone (not hard) but not the point. This was June 2005.

In July 05 the engine malfunction light came on, so I had another trip to the garage who then fixed it.

August 05 and the horn went so this needed to be fixed.

October 05 the engine started making funny noises, I took it to fiat in November who said it is the cam belt that has worn thin and needs replacing. 2 days after that the power steering packed in and the battery acid has leaked, corroding the battery.

General Comments:

I have decided to take the car back to the place where I bought it from where they are giving me a new car (not a punto). I found the people who work at fiat to be rude and were not interested in looking after me. Other than that the car is semi comfortable, has good controls and is nice to drive. Shame it kept going wrong! I think I had a friday afternoon job off the production line.

Review Date: 29th November, 2005

27th Mar 2006, 06:33

I have just read your review on the Punto and I have been to the garage 5 times about the power steering failing. I would like to know how you went about getting a new car. I have contacted Watchdog, Trading Standards, and Fiat Auto, and I do not want this car back.

My car is only 10 months old, and has done only 6.000 miles. I read that you had a problem with your power steering too. I have written to the finance people and am awaiting their reply. My friend has had the same problem with her car, so I encourage anyone and everyone who's had a fault with their power steering to please come forward!

2004 Fiat Punto Sporting 1.4 6-speed from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission 1.4 6-speed Manual

Summary:

Quick 6-speed machine

General Comments:

Performance is excellent for the 1.4 sporting with the 6 speed gearbox well matched to the engine.

Lot of extras for your money including air con, sports seats, leather trim, on board computer and lots of nice little touches inside the car.

0-60 in 9 seconds is excellent for a 1.4 and is capable of hitting 120+ in 6th gear.

Insurance group 7.

Would recommend this car to anyone thinking of choosing a Clio, Saxo, Corsa or Fiesta. Had doubts when I first bought it with it being a Fiat, but I wouldn't change it for any alternative excellent car!

Review Date: 31st May, 2005

28th May 2006, 06:00

I should have stated mine has been chipped, but Standard I can guarantee them figures. Standard I had 120 mph and 0-60 9.1 Secs.

4th Sep 2006, 12:28

After further testing I have to agree with the 120mph claim I also had my bhp tested as standard and had a reading of 100.4bhp I have heard its commen with this engine.

6th Sep 2006, 10:11

I've driven a few Punto's and I was not impressed. I picked a Clio over them, reason being the Punto's handling just wasn't up to that of the Clios, but then again the Clio is a cracking car and in sport trim there's not really another hot hatch that can touch it.

13th Jun 2007, 07:35

They are capable of doing 120. The 95bhp engine is sometimes under rated as 95bhp and can be more around 98-100bhp. I've got my 1.4 16v with a re-routed performance air supply, full stainless exhaust, full remap and engines been seen to (new internals) and it's pushing 135bhp and easily surpasses 130mph now in 6th.

It's a really tunable engine :)

3rd Jun 2008, 15:51

Hi, I have a 2004 Punto Sporting 1.4 16v with 6 gear, I have full stainless exhaust and induction kit with 17 inch alloys, blacked out windows and lights, and just getting lowered an extra 35mm. Can I ask where can I get my Punto chipped or remapped, and to what bhp and cost?

Thanx.