1995 Ford Aspire Reviews

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
Engine and transmission 1.4L I4 Manual
Previous carVolkwagen Beetle

Summary:

Decent economy car, but wouldn't want it as a "forever" car

Car was badly abused when I bought it. It was my first car that I bought myself, and the guy sold it to me without telling me its history (which I found out later)... not terribly honest of him.

The car was apparently taken off-roading in some woods by some kids trying to kill it. When then found they couldn't after trying a few times, they sold or gave it to the guy who I bought it from. Being rolled several times, explains why the front end shimmied horribly on the highway, and the body was all dinged up.

The engine smoked pretty bad when I had it. It used about a quart every 300 miles (about 1 quart per fill up).

General Comments:

The Aspire is not a terribly spectacular car. It's fairly slow, even with a 5 speed, and mine didn't handle too well (I'm attributing that to the woodland escapades). I do remember the turning radius being very tight, and the brakes worked well.

One good thing about this car is it never had a spot of rust, something I didn't notice until I started reading reviews from other drivers. Apparently the metal used for the body is either treated or a special alloy that resists corrosion, which is nice in New England with the salty air and salty roads during the winter.

The ground clearance on this car was also pretty good. For such a small car, it sat fairly high off the ground, which is nice when going over things, but makes the car wobbly on the highway.

Ford overlooked the wiper design for some reason, and if you're going over 55mph, the wipers will skid across the windshield instead of wiping. Much faster than 55 (if you can get going that fast), and they'll actually lift off the windshield altogether.

This wasn't a bad first car, especially to learn stick on. I didn't have to do any work to it, despite it being beat up when I got it, although it needed some attention if I was going to keep it. I eventually got t-boned by someone and totaled the car (about $10 worth of damage to his Subaru, and my car was wrecked).

From my understanding, this was a KIA body, with a Mazda 323 engine (friend of mine had a 323 at the time and the engines were identical), and Ford badges. Also, this was the first compact car in the US to be offered with standard airbags (which didn't deploy when I was hit, so I'm guessing they were front impact only).

I don't remember the fuel economy being that spectacular, somewhere in the low thirties.

Review Date: 27th December, 2010

29th Dec 2010, 00:37

Sounds like a beater and a half to me...

22nd May 2014, 12:50

Air bags will only deploy in a frontal collision, and only if the speed on impact is 15mph or higher.

Newer cars have side air bags, and those will deploy in a side impact.

1995 Ford Aspire 1.3 gas from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 1.3 gas Manual
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Excellent car for going from point A to point B

General maintenance is all that is required.

General Comments:

No problems, AC fine, engine transmission fine, etc. still going strong after 185,000 miles. Most reliable car I've ever had.

38 - 40 MPG. Great car for low middle class people who are not proud.

Review Date: 5th October, 2009

16th Nov 2009, 20:12

We bought our 1995 Aspire about 6 months ago. I cannot say enough good things about this car. We have owned Festiva and they are great little cars. When we found out that the Aspires replaced the Festiva, we thought well we will give them a try. After giving our teens our Festiva, we wanted something comparable in gas mileage. We have driven our share of Chevy's, Dodges, Plymouths cars and we always go back to Fords. They never give us a lick of trouble. If you want something that will give you great gas mileage and very dependable, I suggest you buy a Ford. However the Aspires do lack comfort, but that is what you get when buy a small car.