1995 Ford Contour from North America

Summary:

Great car, very dependable, good gas mileage

When I bought the car, almost nothing worked. The windows wouldn't go up or down, the front doors wouldn't open from the outside, dome light was missing, radio, A/C, electric mirrors, cooling fan, windshield washer sprayer, and more that I can't remember off the top of my head. The car ran pretty good though.

I went to Pick-a-Part lots of times, and was able to replace or repair everything wrong or missing for next to nothing.

General Comments:

I bought this car because it was cheap and would be better on gas than my V-8 Dodge Truck. It wound up using almost exactly half the gas for the same miles, and in no time the savings paid for the car completely.

After fixing the problems it had when I bought it, it's been a fantastic car. Runs great with no problems, and has saved me so many miles on my truck.

This car handles great, and has lots of good features like electric door locks, electric windows, leather seats, the rear seats fold down for more trunk space, A/C, electric mirrors, and lots more.

I do love this car, and I'm glad I bought it.

Review Date: 21st January, 2013

1995 Ford Contour LX 2.5L from North America

Summary:

Has been a very good reliable car for the way it has been driven

Water pump went at about 120,000 miles, but I don't know of any car where the water pump will last forever.

Wiring harness has the known problem. Was taken to the dealer where it was bought from, when we received the recall, and they said it was fine. Didn't notice myself, because we had an extended warranty and $12.95 oil change for as long as we owned the car; they cancelled that too. When I noticed the harness, the car had 109,000 and they wouldn't do anything about it.

Only normal maintenance besides that.

General Comments:

This has been a very good car, considering the way it has been driven. Beat the hell out of it.

For a V6, this car has lots of power still with 173,000 miles. Only more satisfied with our Lincoln LS V8 Sport.

Review Date: 11th April, 2012

1995 Ford Contour LX from North America

Summary:

I would buy another

When purchased, the engine was blown; repaired, which was costly; $3200 including labour.

Brake problem after 2 years; fixed.

General Comments:

Great car, great mileage, and the engine still purrs.

Runs and handles like a top performance car.

Needs more room in the back seat.

Review Date: 12th August, 2011

1995 Ford Contour GL 2.0 DOHC from North America

Summary:

This is a very fun Ford

Timing belt at 140,000.

Electrical system.

Water pump replaced at 140,000.

Heater blower.

Transmission mount.

Both tie rod ends.

Broken right strut when purchased.

Exhaust manifold.

Radiator hoses.

Fan not working.

Starter.

Alternator.

General Comments:

Despite all the issues, this is a reliable little car. We only paid $800 and it has passed state inspection every year.

I would recommend this car to others. Also, it is not hard to maintain, nor expensive.

Review Date: 20th February, 2011

1995 Ford Contour GL 2.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

Bulletproof reliability and a blast to drive, I love it!

The right window motor broke.

The heater switch dies periodically.

General Comments:

Pros:

This car is crazy reliable. I've owned this car for 8 years and 70k miles. In that time the window motor on the passenger side died and I've had to replace the heater switch twice. These are both cheap and easy replacements. Other than that, all I've done is give it oil and tires and the car just keeps going.

Very fun European sport sedan. I have the V6 and the manual transmission. This is a golden combination. I can't get over how fun it is to drive, and after all these years, I still have fun with it pretty much every day.

Good gas mileage for a V6. I've had gas mileage as high as 30 mpg on the highway, which is competitive with some 4 bangers.

The car seems designed with the autobahn in mind. At high speeds it feels solid and planted on the road. Road noise is respectably low. The car seems to really get home going 80 mph.

Cons:

The back seat is kind of small, and pretty much good only for kids and car seats.

The front seats are fun around town, but kind of uncomfortable on long road trips.

The AC system is kind of weak, so if you're not driving on the highway, forget about using the AC.

Review Date: 31st May, 2010