1995 Ford Contour LE V6 from North America

Summary:

Starting to worry!

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be when this car starts and idles rough?

And the battery light flashes when in drive and I stop at a light?

Other than that, the car seem fine for what I paid for it. $2000.00 for a low mileage car, fully loaded with a 6 cyl.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

General Comments:

The car has a lot of pep when compared with my Tercel. I had to replace my motor 2 times in that one.

Review Date: 12th August, 2007

28th Aug 2007, 08:52

Do a google search and you will find out. The Contour Enthusiast Group is a good source for fixes as well. I suspect electrical problems: plugs, wires, coil pack, then: MAF sensor, idle air control motor, throttle position sensor etc. It could also be a fuel delivery problem: Add some "Lucas Fuel Treatment" and see if it gets better. If it does it's likely clogged fuel injectors.

Start with the cheapest.

1995 Ford Contour GL 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Diamond in the rough

I bought this car from a city pound for $500.00. It had been sitting for 9 months and the air compressor was cooked. This Contour was wrecked, totaled, bought by a car rental company, rebuilt and rented out. When the air went out, it was abandoned in Irving Tx, and towed to the pound.

I bought it to sell it; it was so dirty I couldn't tell it had hail damage, but I opened the drivers door and was amazed how good the interior was, so I thought this might be a little diamond in the rough.

When I got it home, I got out the jumper cables and to my surprise it started right up, and in about 30 seconds was running smooth. I put on a used compressor, a new belt, cleaned it up, and took it for a test drive. I was so impressed with how it ran and felt, that I kept it for a second car. Replaced tires & front brake pads, so after a little polishing, this was a little diamond.

General Comments:

Car handled well for what it was. Very comfortable for its size good power. Just sold it for $1850.00

Review Date: 9th August, 2007

1995 Ford Contour GL 4 cylinder from North America

Good

1) Springs broke twice, once @ 153K and again @ 156K. Put second hand strut/springs. Mechanics informed me that the springs for the middle 90's Fords are notorious for breaking.

2) Tune up @ 115K miles

3) Alternator change @130K.

General Comments:

Car has been surprisingly nice to me.

I kept it single hand driven (except for the ocassional friend borrowing). Gives decent gas mileage.

Regular oil changes and coolant flushes have kept the car is good running condition.

Roomy car with less maintainance.

Overall, a good experience so far.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2007

1995 Ford Contour GL from North America

Summary:

Poop!!!

Crack in between number two and number three cylinders. Brakes in rear of car all went out resulting in full master cylinder replacements. Starter blew. Replaced alternator. Throttle cable snapped. Loud banging from engine compartment dur to vibration on engine mount bolts. A/C broke three times. Exhaust snapped in half. Rusting badly even with upkeep.

General Comments:

Piece of Crap!!!

Review Date: 11th June, 2007

8th Jul 2007, 17:57

On a 12 year old car, it's hard to know what to expect. For this age, a starter replacement is not unexpected. Nor is it unexpected to have to change the brakes. All cars need maintenance, or they turn into a "piece of crap" regardless of brand. Learn about maintenance and accept that things wear out.

1995 Ford Contour SE 2.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

One of my best cars that I have owned

The third gear would grind when shifting fast at high rpm from 2nd. Check engine and air bag light would turn on and off for no apparent reason.

General Comments:

This car was great to me. I drove it as a courier vehicle and it never let me down. I drove it 200 miles a day + in the Phoenix, Arizona heat with no problems. I did good on gas and had excellent handling. The only problem I had was the bad performance for having 170 horsepower. Turns out from reading other reviews the intake runner solenoid was bad.

Review Date: 4th May, 2007