1996 Ford Contour SE 2.5 Duratec V6 from North America

Summary:

A great sporty car that leaves you with money to spare

Driver's power window failure.

Water pump.

CD player.

General Comments:

We bought the car in a rush decision and have really enjoyed it. It handles great, has a strong engine and is good on gas. Our contour is sporty and looks good. I would definitely recomend the SE model, it looks a lot better and the V6 is a lot of fun.

The only complaints are Ford service departments and the fit and finish of the car could be a little better.

Our SE has every option offered in the year it was made, the leather seats are extremely comfortable on long trips.

Review Date: 20th January, 2001

1996 Ford Contour GL 2.5l V6 from North America

Vacuum leak - $100.

MAF sensor - $250.

Both non warranty items within 3 mos.

General Comments:

I tried an American car and it let me down. As I write this I am looking for another Camry. The biggest let down is a total lack of dealer support. I stated to the dealer that two repairs of defects (out of warranty) in 3 months was poor, but two separate dealers didn't seem to care. They seemed to have the attitude that it happens to them all. I am used to getting over 150,000 miles from Toyotas with no problems. I enjoy driving the car, but not taking it to the dealer.

Review Date: 29th February, 2000

3rd Apr 2001, 12:22

When I read this, I thought that maybe I submitted it without remembering it. This is exactly what happen to my car. I will never buy another Ford as long as I live. The service from the dealership has been terrible. I took it in 3 times for these same issues and nothing was fixed but I had paid a total of $350. Finally the fourth time was a charm and for only $141. What a bargain.

I sold a Toyota Camery for this car. My old Camery hasn't had any problems and the person I sold it to drives over 100 miles a day. I drive 10.

1996 Ford Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V-6 from North America

1. Blown engine/"spun rod bearing"/oil starvation on extended high-speed right turn.

2. Oxygen sensor.

3. Power window on driver's side (cable).

4. Disc rotors wear quickly.

General Comments:

Car is a joy to drive, especially the handling in turns. Decent gas mileage (25-30 mpg) considering type of car and my driving habits. Ford quality may be better but still has a way to go in terms of things going "wrong"; OTOH, car is still solid as a rock, no rattles, etc. at 76000 miles.

Review Date: 24th September, 1999

21st May 2001, 20:31

I love my 95 contour se, but the brakes all the way around the car are junk.

1996 Ford Contour Se 2.5 V6 from North America

Warped Rotors in 48,000km. LF Wheel bearing was replaced after 43,000km. Rear sway bar bushings replaced after 40,000km. All these were done under the warranty.

General Comments:

Amazingly nimble highway car. The best compact sedan value around!!!!!

Review Date: 29th June, 1998