1984 Ford Crown Victoria LTD 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

Great old car

Power Brake Booster and Master Cylinder.

Brake Calipers, Discs, and Hoses.

Heater Core Leaking.

A/C Stopped Working.

Rusting in the roof area immediately above rear door openings.

General Comments:

A real great car. It has given me minor problems for and auto that is almost 20 years old.

I bought off an elderly woman in 2000 who used to drive it to the grocery store and back. She was the original owner and had only put 56,000 miles on it!

To date I have repaired most of the problems: The brakes work great, the Air Conditioner is Ice Cold and I bypassed the heater core (you don't need a heater in Miami, Florida)

Getting it painted soon!

Review Date: 30th April, 2003

1984 Ford Crown Victoria Base 5.0 (302) 2 barrell from North America

Summary:

From zero to tread less tires in 2 minutes

Booster venturis in the carburetor

Frame was rotten between the wheels on both sides

Brake pads and Brake lines when I bought this car

I busted the adjuster for the emergency brake after replacing the brake shoes

Right front fender was rotten.

General Comments:

This car despite needing work when I bought it turned out to be a reliable and very quick car. After doing the brakes and booster venturis, I only had one other repair to do on it. The front fender needed replacing a 4 hour job.

Otherwise I never had a problem with this car. It was better on gas than my previous car a 1988 Ford crown Victoria. I really liked this car and want another one like it. Basically until the car was vandalized and wrote off by the insurance company My 84 crown Vic was mostly trouble free except for various attempts to repair the frame. i should say I never had any trouble squealing the tires.

Review Date: 13th February, 2003

1984 Ford Crown Victoria 5.0 from North America

Summary:

A silent luxury tank riding on glass

When we bought the car, the air conditioner was dead, the stereo didn't work properly, and the bottom of it was rusty. The engine also needed tuned up and the front shocks needed replaced.

All of these were fixed within the first month of being purchased.

General Comments:

The car was bought back in July for $800. After everything was fixed, the car has run like new. It is a very nice car, despite the horrid gas mileage (15-17 mpg). It rides like it is on glass and is very quiet on the inside. This thing is a tank and is fairly quick for it's size and lack of horsepower. The torque makes up for the limited horsepower though. All in all, this is the best car I have ever driven and I don't plan on getting rid of it.

Review Date: 26th December, 2002

10th Jan 2010, 01:18

Excellent! I just bought a 1984 Vic with 36,000 miles, it belonged to an elderly gentlemen who passed on. The car is new! It is brand new. It was parked in a his garage most of the time. It is a two tone gray. I took it out once and it rides great. The leather top is in original condition and the interior is in perfect condition. I would like to show it off, but not sure where. Anyway thanks for your story - John at Casanavarro@aol.com.

1984 Ford Crown Victoria LTD Full Size 5.0 2bbl from North America

Summary:

I like the look of the 1984-1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria better than the 1988-1991 model

Nothing yet.

I have just bought this car in November 2001. Right now I have to repair the frame below the right front fender to the rear passenger door and do a brake job for a safety, and whatever the car needs for an Ontario Drive Clean if anything.

General Comments:

This car was originally purchased to fix up my 1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX. Now I am using this car to replace the 1988 car as it is body wise and engine wise in better condition.

Review Date: 8th February, 2002

2nd Jul 2002, 22:18

I just got an 84' Mercury Grand Marquis. It is an awesome car compared to my 95' Taurus. Has a few things for safety and also has to do the Ontario Drive Clean test. Body is in good shape, but it seems to have electrical problems. Not bad for $750, I cannot argue with that.

23rd Apr 2003, 16:30

I have a 1984 Crown Vic, and I am having stalling and idle problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

KMchevelle@webtv.net

29th Oct 2006, 10:22

I have a 1984 ford crown vic ltd.. and I had some trouble with it overheating and stalling. May main concern is how much gas it uses.. If anyone has any advice please email me at drummer4life1117@yahoo.com. Thanks.

3rd Feb 2012, 20:07

Add Lucas upper cylinder lubricant when you fill up your tank. When I use it, and I have a 302 Windsor engine, I get 130 miles to a quarter tank of gas. Seriously! I couldn't believe it myself, but it's true. Try it.

10th Jul 2012, 15:20

Hi, I saw the comment about Lucas upper cylinder lubricant when you fill up your tank. I am about to purchase a 1984 also, 45,000 miles. Do you have any more to comment there?

geofftorkington@gmail.com

11th Jul 2012, 10:31

If this '84 needing frame repair is in "better condition body wise" than the '88, that one must have been a real rust bucket.