1988 Ford Crown Victoria Reviews - Page 5 of 5

Year of manufacture1988
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission Automatic Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Oldsmobile

Summary:

Someone saw me coming

The first thing that happened when I bought this car, happened the next day when I was driving home from work. The coil, rotor and the electronic modulator all died at once.

Then I noticed an oil leak and a gas leak from under the hood.

General Comments:

The car has been reliable for the most part I just think that someone saw me coming when I bought this one.

Review Date: 5th May, 2002

1988 Ford Crown Victoria LTD 5.0 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1988
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic

Summary:

The best first car a kid could get

Oil leak stated at about 292 000km. It has been getting worse since then. I now have to put one liter of oil in every 5 - 7 days. We believe the problem is in the head gasket.

Small steering fluid leak shortly after purchase.

Transmission was shot after freeing myself of a mud hole.

The water pump went at 303 000km and the fuel pump went shortly after that too. Both were caused by a collision with a dog.

Just reasently at 310 000km, my alternator went. This was caused by the stereo I installed.

General Comments:

For my first car this vehicle is a dream.

The 5.0 Mustang engine gives this luxury boat quite a ride.

The interior is very roomy and very comfortable.

With the way this car drives and handles, you may as well be on a yacht.

With the right accessories and some custom modifications this car become quite a pimping ride.

With the price tag of only $400 it was a sure buy for me.

Review Date: 27th November, 2001

17th Jul 2004, 11:29

Personally I like the look of the box body vic's more than the 92-97. I never owned a box, but I liked the looks better then my first car ('89 Chrysler fifth Ave. RWD). I now have a '99 Police Interceptor, which I love the looks of and love to drive. I've put almost 10,000 km on it in two months and with no problems and loved every minute of it.

I will own a V8 rwd as long as possible! Friends make fun of "my grandpa car" but I don't care what anybody else says. Everybody tells me I should buy an import because they are "so well designed, and fuel efficient." While in some aspects a little crude, I'm sure that this car will by far outlast pretty much any ricer.

23rd Nov 2004, 19:11

I glad to hear all you kids enjoying old cars, My first wagon was a 55 Ford Ranch Wagon, Then my parents got a 72 Mercury Wagon and then a 74 both with a 460. I could blow the doors off most anything in a good drag race. I now own an 1988 Country Squire,it blows oil and tranny fluid everywhere. I have a newer T-Bird, but still love to get out in the Squire. I recently blew the doors off a little Japanese model of some sort. He seemed shocked. Have fun and stay safe.

14th Dec 2004, 14:21

"Have fun and stay safe"-racing other cars on public roads?

Ridiculous.

2nd Jun 2006, 13:18

Well, I wouldn't exactly describe lead-sled station-wagon versus 2.0L FWD hairdryer off the green-light as "racing", but YMMV.