1996 Ford Crown Victoria Reviews - Page 2 of 4

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Most recent distance204000 miles
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Gotta have it!

It was shifting like crap so I rebuilt the transmission at 120000 - valve body, solenoids and valves only - $300.

AC broke at 180000 - not worth fixing.

Drivers power window broke at 100000.

Gas tank vent line leaked when I bought it.

Replaced ball joints at 150000.

Coolant and oil leaks since 180000. I now put a quart of oil in a month - for leaks, not burning oil.

Otherwise just normal maintenance - shocks, brakes, tune ups, battery, etc. It's still on the original alternator, water pump, etc.

General Comments:

Car is unbelievably fast for it's size. This 2 ton pig does a 16.5 second quarter mile. I know because I drag raced it. When it had less miles on it, it used to get 28 mpg straight highway - no more though. Doesn't handle that well but is perfect for long drives. It has towed trailers all over the southeast. Very roomy, like sitting in your living room, only faster. I have to find a newer one now. Amazingly reliable considering the mileage I have put on it.

Review Date: 24th July, 2008

1996 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired207000 miles

Summary:

Most reliable car ever made

Power steering pump needed to be replaced. $500 or so.

Horn no longer works.

Transmission went out.

General Comments:

This car is amazing... the engine has yet to stop running. The transmission finally gave out, but I got many years out of this car. Always ran strong and was never afraid to take on long trips. Originally a NYC taxi cab, and made the trip from NY to FL no worries. 1 fix during the time I owned it and relatively inexpensive. GREAT car.. will buy another!

Review Date: 13th January, 2008

1996 Ford Crown Victoria p71 4.6 SOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6 SOHC Automatic
Most recent distance198000 miles
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Its the best car I had ever owned.

The intake manifold blew on me, two weeks after getting the car.

General Comments:

After for having the car for a year. I started to fix it up. Due to the already great handling and power it was very easy to work with it. But after market parts are find for it. It still shares a lot with the mustang, so it's not too bad. One thing for sure is that, this car is almost done. It looks great, sticks to the road. Blows away most cars around here, and it's one of kind now!

Review Date: 26th July, 2005

2nd Aug 2005, 18:11

Intake manifolds are under recall for Police interceptors 1996-2002 at Ford.

1996 Ford Crown Victoria LX from North America

First year of ownership1997
Previous carToyota Cressida

Summary:

Best, most dependable car I have owned

The front automatic windows failed one at the time. I paid 187.00 to the dealership for the first repair. My husband did the second one for about $60.00. His repair works more smoothly than the first one.

I had a hose fail that is located under the plastic intake manifold. My husband and son made the repair. In order to get to it, the intake had to be removed. When the hose was replaced, the intake was found to be warped, and we were afraid it would not seal if put back on.

My husband did research, and found an aftermarket intake manifold that had an improvement to the original design. We got that for about $250.00. When everything was put back on, the car ran with a skip.

We found that the spark plug wires needed to be replaced, one had a cut in the covering.

Overall total was about $360.00 for parts. My husband and son saved me about $1000.00. (My husband owns an automotive machine shop.)

Now I have the spark knock problem. When the intake was off the car, there did not appear a lot of carbon built up. I was looking at this site to see how others have handled this problem. Now I have to find out about the oxygen sensor and check it for lean condition, and check the knock sensor for proper operation.

I have often wondered why auto makers don't equip vehicles with a solar powered ventilation system to prevent heat build up in vehicles parked in hot sun. This may save lives, and protect vehicle interiors from heat damage.

General Comments:

I love this car. It had been driven by a salesman in the dealership where I bought the car. I wanted a white one with a dark blue fabric interior. I located one and we traded my 1989 Toyota Cressida for the 1996 Ford Crown Victoria. I have not been sorry. It has a lot of space to fit four adults comfortably, and gets better mileage than the Toyota did. In the winter, I park it in the sun, and get in the back seat to read and nap. I keep all sorts of stuff in the huge trunk. It is 9 years old, and still looks almost as good as it did when I got it. I plan to drive it as long as I can.

Review Date: 26th May, 2005

9th Nov 2005, 09:02

Take out Maf sensor and clean it by spraying electrodes on the end of sensor with electical contact cleaner, should work and if not test the maf sensor and make sure it is not defective.